-versionmsg in Saxon 9.1.0.8 vs 9.6.0.7

Wintermann, John (RTIS)

Hello,

I’ve noticed that when I run an xslt 1.0 stylesheet using  version 9.1.0.8, the versionmsg is produced (note that no –versionmsg option is set at the command line):

 “Warning: at xsl:stylesheet on line 1 column 31 test.xsl:

                Running an XSLT 1.0 stylesheet with an XSLT 2.0 processor”

However, when I run the same xslt 1.0 stylesheet using  Saxon 9.6.0.7, the warning message is not produced (also the –versionmsg option has not been set in the command line in this case as well)

Is 9.6.0.7 indifferent to the version being used?

And are there any negative implications to using a 1.0 stylesheet with Saxon 9.1 other than the warning message?

Off the top of my head, I can’t think of any xpath syntax/functions from 1.0 that have been deprecated in 2.0, but I’m pretty sure they exist. Would deprecated xpath 1.0 syntax/functions produce a fatal error using Saxon 9.1 even if the version attribute is set to 1.0 in the xsl? and the –versionmsg is set to off?

For what it’s worth, I’m running Transform.exe on a .Net platform.

Re: -versionmsg in Saxon 9.1.0.8 vs 9.6.0.7

Michael Kay
The XSLT 2.0 specification states in section 3.6

If a stylesheet that specifies [xsl:]version="1.0" in the outermost element of the principal stylesheet module (that is, version="1.0" in the case of a standard stylesheet module, or xsl:version="1.0" in the case of a simplified stylesheet module) is submitted to an XSLT 2.0 processor, the processor should output a warning advising the user of possible incompatibilities, unless the user has requested otherwise.

I have always felt that this warning was unnecessarily alarmist, because 99.9% of stylesheets that work under XSLT 1.0 will also work under a 2.0 processor running in backwards-compatibility mode, but Saxon did it because the spec said it should.

The actual incompatibilities are listed here:

XSLT 3.0 no longer requires the warning. I'm not quite sure when we dropped the message in Saxon, but I think most people have been glad to see it go.