normalization-form="fully-normalized" not supported

normalization-form="fully-normalized" not supported

Colin Paul Adams
Looking at the code for xsl:output, you appear to be issuing error
XTSE0020 if the value of the attribute it fully-normalized.

This is incorrect behaviour, according to the CR.

As far as I can see, you must not reject this value at parse
time. Instead it should be passed to the serializer, which, if it does
not support it, must issue error SESU0011.

This is not just a quibble about the message identifier - it will
cause a transformation to fail which otherwise would not do so, if
Saxon were not performing the serialization.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

RE: normalization-form="fully-normalized" not supported

Michael Kay
Actually the CR documents are a little bit inconsistent on such matters, and
I've raised a bug report on this. But I think you're right that it should be
a SESU0011 and not an XTSE0020, and that no error should be reported if no
serialization takes place.

IIRC the spec leaves it implementation-defined whether the xsl:output
attributes are validated when not serializing, but I think that should only
apply to validation against the syntactically-permitted values rather than
the values supported by the implementation.

I'm sure that once we have a W3C test suite it will reveal many more such
corner cases.

    Michael> Actually the CR documents are a little bit inconsistent
    Michael> on such matters, and I've raised a bug report on
    Michael> this. But I think you're right that it should be a
    Michael> SESU0011 and not an XTSE0020, and that no error should be
    Michael> reported if no serialization takes place.

    Michael> IIRC the spec leaves it implementation-defined whether
    Michael> the xsl:output attributes are validated when not
    Michael> serializing, but I think that should only apply to
    Michael> validation against the syntactically-permitted values
    Michael> rather than the values supported by the implementation.

    Michael> I'm sure that once we have a W3C test suite it will
    Michael> reveal many more such corner cases.

I guess so.

In fact, I assume I you to accept any nmtoken in the same way as
fully-normalized.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire