Quantcast

<ixsl:call> in Saxon-JS?

Martynas Jusevičius
Hey,

is the following issue addressed in Saxon-JS?
https://saxonica.plan.io/boards/1/topics/5786

In general, is there a list of Saxon-JS improvements/bugfixes over Saxon-CE?

http://www.saxonica.com/saxon-js/index.xml links to
https://saxonica.plan.io/projects/saxon-ce, not sure that was
intended.

Martynas
atomgraph.com

Re: <ixsl:call> in Saxon-JS?

debbie
Hi Martynas,

> is the following issue addressed in Saxon-JS?
> https://saxonica.plan.io/boards/1/topics/5786
We do not see the need for an ixsl:call extension element, since the
straight forward solution is to use an xsl:sequence element with the
ixsl:call() function in the select attribute. For some reason this help
topic was neglected when it could have been answered long ago...
> In general, is there a list of Saxon-JS improvements/bugfixes over Saxon-CE?
No, we don't exactly have a list. Since the actual code is completely
new, most product bugs are likely to be entirely different. Cases like
the one above, where the question is about the design and use of the
interactive functions and elements, are addressed in the Saxon-JS
documentation. Differences to Saxon-CE are discussed in various places,
most specifically
http://www.saxonica.com/saxon-js/documentation/index.html#!about/saxonce
and the links from that page, e.g. to
http://www.saxonica.com/saxon-js/documentation/index.html#!development/saxonce

But do let us know where more information would be useful, or if there's
something we missed. We will add to the documentation as the product
develops.
> http://www.saxonica.com/saxon-js/index.xml links to
> https://saxonica.plan.io/projects/saxon-ce, not sure that was
> intended.
Thanks for pointing out this mistake. I have now corrected the link to
point to
https://saxonica.plan.io/projects/saxon-js
(and noted that we need to review some of the Saxon-CE topics!)

Debbie

--
Debbie Lockett

Re: <ixsl:call> in Saxon-JS?

Martynas Jusevičius
Hey Debbie,

thanks for your reply.

Will <xsl:sequence select="ixsl:call(...)"/> not add the result of the
call to the result tree?

My understanding is that it does:
http://www.saxonica.com/html/documentation/xsl-elements/sequence.html

That is a problem in my case, because some calls (e.g. to jQuery)
might return objects, and as a result I get something like [object
Object] added to DOM.

I suspect that is also the issue Eric was having. Is there a way to
execute ixsl:call() without causing output?

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 12:19 PM, Debbie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Martynas,
>
>> is the following issue addressed in Saxon-JS?
>> https://saxonica.plan.io/boards/1/topics/5786
> We do not see the need for an ixsl:call extension element, since the
> straight forward solution is to use an xsl:sequence element with the
> ixsl:call() function in the select attribute. For some reason this help
> topic was neglected when it could have been answered long ago...
>> In general, is there a list of Saxon-JS improvements/bugfixes over Saxon-CE?
> No, we don't exactly have a list. Since the actual code is completely
> new, most product bugs are likely to be entirely different. Cases like
> the one above, where the question is about the design and use of the
> interactive functions and elements, are addressed in the Saxon-JS
> documentation. Differences to Saxon-CE are discussed in various places,
> most specifically
> http://www.saxonica.com/saxon-js/documentation/index.html#!about/saxonce
> and the links from that page, e.g. to
> http://www.saxonica.com/saxon-js/documentation/index.html#!development/saxonce
>
> But do let us know where more information would be useful, or if there's
> something we missed. We will add to the documentation as the product
> develops.
>> http://www.saxonica.com/saxon-js/index.xml links to
>> https://saxonica.plan.io/projects/saxon-ce, not sure that was
>> intended.
> Thanks for pointing out this mistake. I have now corrected the link to
> point to
> https://saxonica.plan.io/projects/saxon-js
> (and noted that we need to review some of the Saxon-CE topics!)
>
> Debbie
>
> --
> Debbie Lockett

Re: <ixsl:call> in Saxon-JS?

Christophe Marchand-2
<xsl:variable name="temp" select="ixsl:call(...)" /> maybe...

Best regards,
Christophe

Le 17/10/2016 à 12:35, Martynas Jusevičius a écrit :

> Hey Debbie,
>
> thanks for your reply.
>
> Will <xsl:sequence select="ixsl:call(...)"/> not add the result of the
> call to the result tree?
>
> My understanding is that it does:
> http://www.saxonica.com/html/documentation/xsl-elements/sequence.html
>
> That is a problem in my case, because some calls (e.g. to jQuery)
> might return objects, and as a result I get something like [object
> Object] added to DOM.
>
> I suspect that is also the issue Eric was having. Is there a way to
> execute ixsl:call() without causing output?
>
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 12:19 PM, Debbie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Martynas,
>>
>>> is the following issue addressed in Saxon-JS?
>>> https://saxonica.plan.io/boards/1/topics/5786
>> We do not see the need for an ixsl:call extension element, since the
>> straight forward solution is to use an xsl:sequence element with the
>> ixsl:call() function in the select attribute. For some reason this help
>> topic was neglected when it could have been answered long ago...
>>> In general, is there a list of Saxon-JS improvements/bugfixes over Saxon-CE?
>> No, we don't exactly have a list. Since the actual code is completely
>> new, most product bugs are likely to be entirely different. Cases like
>> the one above, where the question is about the design and use of the
>> interactive functions and elements, are addressed in the Saxon-JS
>> documentation. Differences to Saxon-CE are discussed in various places,
>> most specifically
>> http://www.saxonica.com/saxon-js/documentation/index.html#!about/saxonce
>> and the links from that page, e.g. to
>> http://www.saxonica.com/saxon-js/documentation/index.html#!development/saxonce
>>
>> But do let us know where more information would be useful, or if there's
>> something we missed. We will add to the documentation as the product
>> develops.
>>> http://www.saxonica.com/saxon-js/index.xml links to
>>> https://saxonica.plan.io/projects/saxon-ce, not sure that was
>>> intended.
>> Thanks for pointing out this mistake. I have now corrected the link to
>> point to
>> https://saxonica.plan.io/projects/saxon-js
>> (and noted that we need to review some of the Saxon-CE topics!)
>>
>> Debbie
>>
>> --
>> Debbie Lockett
>> Saxonica

Re: <ixsl:call> in Saxon-JS?

debbie
As mentioned in the original topic
(https://saxonica.plan.io/boards/1/topics/5786), xsl:variable may not work.

Thanks for explaining the issue further Martynas. You're right that it's
more complicated when you want to throw away the result of the called
method. As Mike informs me, when you don't want the result of the
xsl:sequence to be added to the result tree, the trick is to use a
predicate that resolves to false (and this must happen at run time not
compile time). For instance:

<xsl:sequence select="ixsl:call(...)[current-date() lt
xs:date('2000-01-01')]" />

On 17/10/2016 12:44, Christophe Marchand wrote:

> <xsl:variable name="temp" select="ixsl:call(...)" /> maybe...
>
> Best regards,
> Christophe
>

> Le 17/10/2016 à 12:35, Martynas Jusevičius a écrit :
>> Hey Debbie,
>>
>> thanks for your reply.
>>
>> Will <xsl:sequence select="ixsl:call(...)"/> not add the result of the
>> call to the result tree?
>>
>> My understanding is that it does:
>> http://www.saxonica.com/html/documentation/xsl-elements/sequence.html
>>
>> That is a problem in my case, because some calls (e.g. to jQuery)
>> might return objects, and as a result I get something like [object
>> Object] added to DOM.
>>
>> I suspect that is also the issue Eric was having. Is there a way to
>> execute ixsl:call() without causing output?
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 12:19 PM, Debbie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Martynas,

>>> We do not see the need for an ixsl:call extension element, since the
>>> straight forward solution is to use an xsl:sequence element with the
>>> ixsl:call() function in the select attribute. For some reason this help
>>> topic was neglected when it could have been answered long ago...
>>> No, we don't exactly have a list. Since the actual code is completely
>>> new, most product bugs are likely to be entirely different. Cases like
>>> the one above, where the question is about the design and use of the
>>> interactive functions and elements, are addressed in the Saxon-JS
>>> documentation. Differences to Saxon-CE are discussed in various places,
>>> most specifically
>>> http://www.saxonica.com/saxon-js/documentation/index.html#!about/saxonce
>>> and the links from that page, e.g. to
>>> http://www.saxonica.com/saxon-js/documentation/index.html#!development/saxonce
>>>
>>> But do let us know where more information would be useful, or if there's
>>> something we missed. We will add to the documentation as the product
>>> develops.
>>> Thanks for pointing out this mistake. I have now corrected the link to
>>> point to
>>> https://saxonica.plan.io/projects/saxon-js
>>> (and noted that we need to review some of the Saxon-CE topics!)
>>>
>>> Debbie
>>>
>>> --
>>> Debbie Lockett
>>> Saxonica

Debbie Lockett

Re: <ixsl:call> in Saxon-JS?

Martynas Jusevičius
Thanks Debbie, that is good to know. I think the expression becomes
rather clumsy, but I can live with that.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 2:07 PM, Debbie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As mentioned in the original topic
> (https://saxonica.plan.io/boards/1/topics/5786), xsl:variable may not work.
>
> Thanks for explaining the issue further Martynas. You're right that it's
> more complicated when you want to throw away the result of the called
> method. As Mike informs me, when you don't want the result of the
> xsl:sequence to be added to the result tree, the trick is to use a
> predicate that resolves to false (and this must happen at run time not
> compile time). For instance:
>
> <xsl:sequence select="ixsl:call(...)[current-date() lt
> xs:date('2000-01-01')]" />
>

> On 17/10/2016 12:44, Christophe Marchand wrote:
>> <xsl:variable name="temp" select="ixsl:call(...)" /> maybe...
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Christophe
>>

>> Le 17/10/2016 à 12:35, Martynas Jusevičius a écrit :
>>> Hey Debbie,
>>>
>>> thanks for your reply.
>>>
>>> Will <xsl:sequence select="ixsl:call(...)"/> not add the result of the
>>> call to the result tree?
>>>
>>> My understanding is that it does:
>>> http://www.saxonica.com/html/documentation/xsl-elements/sequence.html
>>>
>>> That is a problem in my case, because some calls (e.g. to jQuery)
>>> might return objects, and as a result I get something like [object
>>> Object] added to DOM.
>>>
>>> I suspect that is also the issue Eric was having. Is there a way to
>>> execute ixsl:call() without causing output?

> Debbie Lockett

Re: <ixsl:call> in Saxon-JS?

Michael Kay
You can reduce the untidiness by packaging it in a function (XSLT or Javascript), for example

<xsl:sequence select="f:discard(ixsl:call(...))"/>

which makes it explicit that you are discarding the result of the call. The important thing is not to give Saxon any compile-time clue that it can produce the same transformation result without bothering to call your function.

The current-date() predicate has the benefit of being transparently clear and safe, by having an explicit dependency on the dynamic context; there are plenty of other predicates you could use, for example ixsl:call()[-last()], but there is always a risk that the optimizer will one day become smart enough to optimize the call away.

I'm afraid that achieving side-effects in a language that is supposed to be purely functional will always be a bit messy.