javax.xml.xquery and upgrading to Saxon-HE >= 9.5.1-5

javax.xml.xquery and upgrading to Saxon-HE >= 9.5.1-5

Thomas Cunningham
Hi,

I inherited an application using Saxon-HE 9.5.1-2 and I'm finding it necessary to upgrade to Saxon-HE 9.5.1-5 or greater.     The application is rife with javax.xml.xquery references, and I know that javax.xml.xquery was removed from Saxon based on license differences, so I'm just wondering what the best way to go about this is.

I've added dependencies to the newer version of SaxonHE and a new dependency to the xqj JAR, but I still have no dependency covering the javax.xml.xquery package - am I supposed to add a dependency to an implementation of the JSR225 api, or am I supposed to change all the javax.xml.xquery references to match the net.sf.saxon.xqj.Saxon* api?    I found that some of the XQuery classes don't seem to have net.sf.saxon.xqj analogues - for example, I couldn't find a class like XQConstants.     Am I missing something here?

If I'm supposed to use an external javax.xml.xquery implementation, is there one that's suggested or best practice to use?   I poked around for a little while and haven't found one in Maven Central.

--Tom

Re: javax.xml.xquery and upgrading to Saxon-HE >= 9.5.1-5

Michael Kay
Looking inside the saxon9-xqj.jar files issued with various maintenance releases on the 9.5 branch, it looks to me as if we built them without including the java.xml.query.** interface classes, only the Saxon implementation classes. I don't think this was intentional, and on the 9.6 branch the saxon9-xqj.jar also includes both the interface and the implementation classes.

So it looks as if, pro tem, unless you can move forward to Saxon 9.6, you'll have to get a copy of these interface classes onto your classpath from somewhere else. Fortunately they are completely stable so there shouldn't be any problem with version questions.

XQConstants defines static constants, it isn't an interface, so there is no corresponding implementation classes. Also, the mapping from interfaces to implementing classes is not one-to-one; some classes implement more than one interface.

> On 12 Nov 2015, at 16:10, Thomas Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I inherited an application using Saxon-HE 9.5.1-2 and I'm finding it necessary to upgrade to Saxon-HE 9.5.1-5 or greater.     The application is rife with javax.xml.xquery references, and I know that javax.xml.xquery was removed from Saxon based on license differences, so I'm just wondering what the best way to go about this is.
>
> I've added dependencies to the newer version of SaxonHE and a new dependency to the xqj JAR, but I still have no dependency covering the javax.xml.xquery package - am I supposed to add a dependency to an implementation of the JSR225 api, or am I supposed to change all the javax.xml.xquery references to match the net.sf.saxon.xqj.Saxon* api?    I found that some of the XQuery classes don't seem to have net.sf.saxon.xqj analogues - for example, I couldn't find a class like XQConstants.     Am I missing something here?
>
> If I'm supposed to use an external javax.xml.xquery implementation, is there one that's suggested or best practice to use?   I poked around for a little while and haven't found one in Maven Central.
>
> --Tom

Re: javax.xml.xquery and upgrading to Saxon-HE >= 9.5.1-5

Thomas Cunningham

Thanks Michael, that helps a lot - I definitely know what I need to do.    If there's a 9.5.1-11, is there a possibility that the interfaces will be added back in?

--Tom

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 12:35 PM, Michael Kay <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looking inside the saxon9-xqj.jar files issued with various maintenance releases on the 9.5 branch, it looks to me as if we built them without including the java.xml.query.** interface classes, only the Saxon implementation classes. I don't think this was intentional, and on the 9.6 branch the saxon9-xqj.jar also includes both the interface and the implementation classes.

So it looks as if, pro tem, unless you can move forward to Saxon 9.6, you'll have to get a copy of these interface classes onto your classpath from somewhere else. Fortunately they are completely stable so there shouldn't be any problem with version questions.

XQConstants defines static constants, it isn't an interface, so there is no corresponding implementation classes. Also, the mapping from interfaces to implementing classes is not one-to-one; some classes implement more than one interface.

> On 12 Nov 2015, at 16:10, Thomas Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I inherited an application using Saxon-HE 9.5.1-2 and I'm finding it necessary to upgrade to Saxon-HE 9.5.1-5 or greater.     The application is rife with javax.xml.xquery references, and I know that javax.xml.xquery was removed from Saxon based on license differences, so I'm just wondering what the best way to go about this is.
>
> I've added dependencies to the newer version of SaxonHE and a new dependency to the xqj JAR, but I still have no dependency covering the javax.xml.xquery package - am I supposed to add a dependency to an implementation of the JSR225 api, or am I supposed to change all the javax.xml.xquery references to match the net.sf.saxon.xqj.Saxon* api?    I found that some of the XQuery classes don't seem to have net.sf.saxon.xqj analogues - for example, I couldn't find a class like XQConstants.     Am I missing something here?
>
> If I'm supposed to use an external javax.xml.xquery implementation, is there one that's suggested or best practice to use?   I poked around for a little while and haven't found one in Maven Central.
>
> --Tom

Re: javax.xml.xquery and upgrading to Saxon-HE >= 9.5.1-5

Michael Kay
Rather than logging a bug entry which could get overlooked, I've sabotaged the build file so we can't rebuild the product without fixing this. ;-)

I've no idea if there will be another build on the 9.5 line. If an important customer needs it then probably yes, if not, then quite likely no.