file:xxx and file name syntax

Hans-Juergen Rennau
Dear Saxon team,

extension functions file:xxx throw an error if a file name contains whitespace. The EXPath spec [1], however, lists examples with such file names [2] which supposedly should be processed without error, e.g.

    my file.xml: A relative path, pointing to a file in the current working directory.

I know that the spec is still in progress, but I think it makes sense for the file module to be as robust as possible  - the idea is to work with the file system as it is, and file names are not URIs - at least in my opinion..

Could you consider making the behaviour more robust?

Cheers,
Hans-Juergen

Re: file:xxx and file name syntax

Michael Kay
Hans-Juergen,

Thanks.

Any chance you could contribute test cases at

to illustrate the problem?

On 16 Dec 2014, at 22:44, Hans-Juergen Rennau <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Saxon team,

extension functions file:xxx throw an error if a file name contains whitespace. The EXPath spec [1], however, lists examples with such file names [2] which supposedly should be processed without error, e.g.

    my file.xml: A relative path, pointing to a file in the current working directory.

I know that the spec is still in progress, but I think it makes sense for the file module to be as robust as possible  - the idea is to work with the file system as it is, and file names are not URIs - at least in my opinion..

Could you consider making the behaviour more robust?

Cheers,
Hans-Juergen

Re: file:xxx and file name syntax

John Lumley-2
On 16/12/2014 22:44, Hans-Juergen Rennau wrote:
Dear Saxon team,

extension functions file:xxx throw an error if a file name contains whitespace. The EXPath spec [1], however, lists examples with such file names [2] which supposedly should be processed without error, e.g.

    my file.xml: A relative path, pointing to a file in the current working directory.

I know that the spec is still in progress, but I think it makes sense for the file module to be as robust as possible  - the idea is to work with the file system as it is, and file names are not URIs - at least in my opinion..

We'll work on this - please see https://saxonica.plan.io/issues/2269

John

--
John Lumley MA PhD CEng FIEE