doc with zipped jar file

Ruprecht von Waldenfels
Hi,
I am trying to access a zipped xml file using a url like this:

doc ('jar:file:DIRECTORY/FILE.xml.gz!/FILE.xml')

where I  intend DIRECTORY/FILE.xml.gz  to be a relative path to the XSLT
document.

I've tried many combinations, but none seem to work (this  is ubuntu).

I'd be grateful for help,
Ruprecht

Re: doc with zipped jar file

Michael Kay
I think it should be

> 'jar:file:///DIRECTORY/FILE.xml.gz!/FILE.xml'

(one slash or three after "file:")

Note: Saxon does its best to handle JAR scheme URIs, but it won't always succeed because they aren't always accepted, for example, by XML parsers. They are non-standard.

> On 21 Apr 2016, at 22:26, Ruprecht von Waldenfels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I am trying to access a zipped xml file using a url like this:
>
> doc ('jar:file:DIRECTORY/FILE.xml.gz!/FILE.xml')
>
> where I  intend DIRECTORY/FILE.xml.gz  to be a relative path to the XSLT
> document.
>
> I've tried many combinations, but none seem to work (this  is ubuntu).
>
> I'd be grateful for help,
> Ruprecht

Re: doc with zipped jar file

Alan Painter-3

I'm wondering, in this particular case, if the file in question is really a jar file. Given the .gz file extension, I'd reckon that it's a GZIPPED file and not a Jar file at all. Won't that make a difference?

On Apr 22, 2016 12:05 AM, "Michael Kay" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think it should be

> 'jar:file:///DIRECTORY/FILE.xml.gz!/FILE.xml'

(one slash or three after "file:")

Note: Saxon does its best to handle JAR scheme URIs, but it won't always succeed because they aren't always accepted, for example, by XML parsers. They are non-standard.

> On 21 Apr 2016, at 22:26, Ruprecht von Waldenfels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I am trying to access a zipped xml file using a url like this:
>
> doc ('jar:file:DIRECTORY/FILE.xml.gz!/FILE.xml')
>
> where I  intend DIRECTORY/FILE.xml.gz  to be a relative path to the XSLT
> document.
>
> I've tried many combinations, but none seem to work (this  is ubuntu).
>
> I'd be grateful for help,
> Ruprecht

Re: doc with zipped jar file

Ruprecht von Waldenfels
I think not?
Am 21.04.2016 um 15:09 schrieb Alan Painter:

I'm wondering, in this particular case, if the file in question is really a jar file. Given the .gz file extension, I'd reckon that it's a GZIPPED file and not a Jar file at all. Won't that make a difference?

On Apr 22, 2016 12:05 AM, "Michael Kay" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think it should be

> 'jar:file:///DIRECTORY/FILE.xml.gz!/FILE.xml'

(one slash or three after "file:")

Note: Saxon does its best to handle JAR scheme URIs, but it won't always succeed because they aren't always accepted, for example, by XML parsers. They are non-standard.

> On 21 Apr 2016, at 22:26, Ruprecht von Waldenfels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I am trying to access a zipped xml file using a url like this:
>
> doc ('jar:file:DIRECTORY/FILE.xml.gz!/FILE.xml')
>
> where I  intend DIRECTORY/FILE.xml.gz  to be a relative path to the XSLT
> document.
>
> I've tried many combinations, but none seem to work (this  is ubuntu).
>
> I'd be grateful for help,
> Ruprecht

Re: doc with zipped jar file

Ruprecht von Waldenfels
Thanks - but it's not working. But no worries, I'll try to work around
the problem;
I am transforming input files of around 700 MB anyway and even 5 gig are
not enough for that.
So I guess I need to change the whole approach. I keep running into the
memory restrictions with XSLT....

Best,
Ruprecht

Am 21.04.2016 um 15:03 schrieb Michael Kay:

> I think it should be
>
>> 'jar:file:///DIRECTORY/FILE.xml.gz!/FILE.xml'
> (one slash or three after "file:")
>
> Note: Saxon does its best to handle JAR scheme URIs, but it won't always succeed because they aren't always accepted, for example, by XML parsers. They are non-standard.

>> On 21 Apr 2016, at 22:26, Ruprecht von Waldenfels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I am trying to access a zipped xml file using a url like this:
>>
>> doc ('jar:file:DIRECTORY/FILE.xml.gz!/FILE.xml')
>>
>> where I  intend DIRECTORY/FILE.xml.gz  to be a relative path to the XSLT
>> document.
>>
>> I've tried many combinations, but none seem to work (this  is ubuntu).
>>
>> I'd be grateful for help,
>> Ruprecht

Re: doc with zipped jar file

Ruprecht von Waldenfels
Thanks, you were spot on - THAT was the problem. Best!
Ruprecht