Quantcast

a tiny nit with respect to documentation links

a tiny nit with respect to documentation links

Julian Reschke
Hi there,

running Saxon97he without arguments yields:

> No source file name
> Saxon-HE 9.7.0.15J from Saxonica
> Usage: see http://www.saxonica.com/html/documentation/using-xsl/commandline.html
> Format: net.sf.saxon.Transform options params
> Options available: -? -a -catalog -config -cr -diag -dtd -ea -expand -explain -export -ext -im -init -it -l -license -m -nogo -now -o -opt -or -outval -p -pack -quit -r -repeat -s -sa -scmin -strip -t -T -target -threads -TJ -TP -traceout -tree -u -val -versionmsg -warnings -x -xi -xmlversion -xsd -xsdversion -xsiloc -xsl -xsltversion -y
> Use -XYZ:? for details of option XYZ
> Params:
>   param=value           Set stylesheet string parameter
>   +param=filename       Set stylesheet document parameter
>   ?param=expression     Set stylesheet parameter using XPath
>   !param=value          Set serialization parameter

However,
<http://www.saxonica.com/html/documentation/using-xsl/commandline.html>
currently 404s...

Best regards, Julian

Re: a tiny nit with respect to documentation links

Florent Georges-3
Hi,

The URL seems to be (now?) http://www.saxonica.com/html/documentation/using-xsl/commandline/ (ending with "/" instead of ".html").

Mike, as the URL is part of some versions of Saxon, it sounds like a redirect from "commandline.html" to "commandline/" would be nice, here?

Florent Georges
H2O Consulting
http://h2o.consulting/ - New website!

On 24 March 2017 at 15:14, Julian Reschke wrote:
Hi there,

running Saxon97he without arguments yields:

> No source file name
> Saxon-HE 9.7.0.15J from Saxonica
> Usage: see http://www.saxonica.com/html/documentation/using-xsl/commandline.html
> Format: net.sf.saxon.Transform options params
> Options available: -? -a -catalog -config -cr -diag -dtd -ea -expand -explain -export -ext -im -init -it -l -license -m -nogo -now -o -opt -or -outval -p -pack -quit -r -repeat -s -sa -scmin -strip -t -T -target -threads -TJ -TP -traceout -tree -u -val -versionmsg -warnings -x -xi -xmlversion -xsd -xsdversion -xsiloc -xsl -xsltversion -y
> Use -XYZ:? for details of option XYZ
> Params:
>   param=value           Set stylesheet string parameter
>   +param=filename       Set stylesheet document parameter
>   ?param=expression     Set stylesheet parameter using XPath
>   !param=value          Set serialization parameter

However,
<http://www.saxonica.com/html/documentation/using-xsl/commandline.html>
currently 404s...

Best regards, Julian

Re: a tiny nit with respect to documentation links

Many thanks, logged here and fixed at source:

https://saxonica.plan.io/issues/3179

> On 24 Mar 2017, at 14:14, Julian Reschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> running Saxon97he without arguments yields:
>
>> No source file name
>> Saxon-HE 9.7.0.15J from Saxonica
>> Usage: see http://www.saxonica.com/html/documentation/using-xsl/commandline.html
>> Format: net.sf.saxon.Transform options params
>> Options available: -? -a -catalog -config -cr -diag -dtd -ea -expand -explain -export -ext -im -init -it -l -license -m -nogo -now -o -opt -or -outval -p -pack -quit -r -repeat -s -sa -scmin -strip -t -T -target -threads -TJ -TP -traceout -tree -u -val -versionmsg -warnings -x -xi -xmlversion -xsd -xsdversion -xsiloc -xsl -xsltversion -y
>> Use -XYZ:? for details of option XYZ
>> Params:
>>  param=value           Set stylesheet string parameter
>>  +param=filename       Set stylesheet document parameter
>>  ?param=expression     Set stylesheet parameter using XPath
>>  !param=value          Set serialization parameter
>
> However,
> <http://www.saxonica.com/html/documentation/using-xsl/commandline.html>
> currently 404s...
>
> Best regards, Julian

Re: a tiny nit with respect to documentation links

I've changed the link to point to the XML version at

(We've got a long-standing TODO to make the link version-sensitive but I haven't done that this time around).

On 2017-03-24 16:56, Michael Kay wrote:

> I've changed the link to point to the XML version at
>
> http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index.html#!using-xsl/commandline
> <http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index.html#%21using-xsl/commandline>
>
> (We've got a long-standing TODO to make the link version-sensitive but I
> haven't done that this time around).

Thanks. That brings me to my next nit.

The URI

   http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index.html#%21using-xsl/commandline

indeed works. However, navigation using the links in the side bar does
not. For instance, when I click on "- using the -a option" nothing
happens. Tested with latest Firefox and Chrome. Developer console
doesn't say anything helpful.

Best regards, Julian

Re: a tiny nit with respect to documentation links

debbie
I have logged a new bug for this https://saxonica.plan.io/issues/3180

I assume that this is a replica of the problem that we previously
noticed (and fixed) for the Saxon-JS documentation (see
https://saxonica.plan.io/issues/3036), to do with computers that have
touch screens. But clearly this should also be fixed for the main Saxon
9.7 documentation app.

Please let me know if I have wrongly diagnosed the problem!

Thanks, Debbie

On 24/03/2017 16:08, Julian Reschke wrote:

> On 2017-03-24 16:56, Michael Kay wrote:
>> I've changed the link to point to the XML version at
>>
>> http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index.html#!using-xsl/commandline
>> <http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index.html#%21using-xsl/commandline>
>>
>> (We've got a long-standing TODO to make the link version-sensitive but I
>> haven't done that this time around).
>>
>> Michael Kay
>> Saxonica
> Thanks. That brings me to my next nit.
>
> The URI
>
>     http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index.html#%21using-xsl/commandline
>
> indeed works. However, navigation using the links in the side bar does
> not. For instance, when I click on "- using the -a option" nothing
> happens. Tested with latest Firefox and Chrome. Developer console
> doesn't say anything helpful.
>
> Best regards, Julian

Debbie Lockett

On 2017-03-24 17:46, Debbie wrote:

> I have logged a new bug for this https://saxonica.plan.io/issues/3180
>
> I assume that this is a replica of the problem that we previously
> noticed (and fixed) for the Saxon-JS documentation (see
> https://saxonica.plan.io/issues/3036), to do with computers that have
> touch screens. But clearly this should also be fixed for the main Saxon
> 9.7 documentation app.
>
> Please let me know if I have wrongly diagnosed the problem!
>
> Thanks, Debbie

Mostly. Using the touch screen works indeed (with Edge and Chrome), but
not Firefox.

Best regards, Julian

Re: a tiny nit with respect to documentation links

Ruvim Pinka
Hello!

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 6:56 PM, Michael Kay <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've changed the link to point to the XML version at

It seems that this website doesn't support AJAX crawling scheme in full.
It uses hash-bang URI, but doesn't support _escaped_fragment_ parameter.

returns web-page contains just the link to home page of Non-JavaScript Version,
whilst it should return static version or redirect to static version.

By the way, why do you prefer this "XML" (heavily scripted) version over simple static version?
  http://www.saxonica.com/html/documentation/using-xsl/commandline/

What is the benefit for the users?

By the tests, scripted vs static:
Full load time (first view): 14s vs 0.8s
Bytes loaded: 1232 KB vs 150 KB

The difference is about ten times in favor of static version.

Although in my browser the results differ, the static version is quicker
and far quicker with JavaScript disabled ;)

Google, who invented "#!{state}"  hashes, now recommends
following principle of progressive enhancement and
using mechanism like History API pushState() (instead of hash-bang URIs).

Kind regards,
Ruvim