Xmlns:fo attributes

Kahle, Paul J
I am using Saxon 8.3 to transform XML documents into XHTML documents.
However, Saxon rather randomly inserts attributes into some of the tags.
Attributes like:

xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format" into <a> tags
xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" into <table> tags
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" also into <table>
tags

The problem with this is that my output cannot validate as XHTML with
these extra attributes thrown in.  The pages still render in a browser
but I would like to stop this from happening.  I run the same XSLT
through the Altova transform engine and it doesn't do this.  I was sort
of wondering what the purpose of this might be?  And how I can turn it
off?

Paul Kahle
Boeing Shared Service Group
206-297-8413

AW: Xmlns:fo attributes

dieter boell
Hello Paul,

just try the attribute exclude-result-prefixes="xdt fo xs fn"

It looks like that:
<xsl:stylesheet version="2.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format" xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:fn="http://www.w3.org/2005/02/xpath-functions" xmlns:xdt="http://www.w3.org/2005/02/xpath-datatypes"
exclude-result-prefixes="xdt fo xs fn">

best regards
  Dieter

http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf

Re: Xmlns:fo attributes

Dieter Böll

[hidden email] schrieb am 08.09.05 03:01:21:

> I am using Saxon 8.3 to transform XML documents into XHTML documents.
> However, Saxon rather randomly inserts attributes into some of the tags.
> Attributes like:
>
> xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format" into <a> tags
> xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" into <table> tags
> xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" also into <table>
> tags
>
> The problem with this is that my output cannot validate as XHTML with
> these extra attributes thrown in.  The pages still render in a browser
> but I would like to stop this from happening.  I run the same XSLT
> through the Altova transform engine and it doesn't do this.  I was sort
> of wondering what the purpose of this might be?  And how I can turn it
> off?
>
> Paul Kahle
> Boeing Shared Service Group
> 206-297-8413

RE: Xmlns:fo attributes

The namespace declarations are there because your stylesheet has executed
code that puts them there, and without seeing your code one can't be sure of
the reasons. The two most likely reasons are

(a) you generated the element from a literal result element in the
stylesheet, in which case all the inscope namespaces get copied from the
stylesheet unless you exclude them using exclude-result-prefixes

(b) you copied the element from a source document, in which case it gets
copied together with all its in-scope namespaces unless you specify
copy-namespaces="no".

Please note that the latest version of Saxon is 8.5.1, though this isn't
relevant to this issue.

What Altova does, I'm afraid, is no evidence of what the correct behaviour
is.

RE: Xmlns:fo attributes

Kahle, Paul J
Thanks Dieter

Your suggestion worked to remove those pesky :fo attributes however the xhtml and xsi attributes are still around.  I tried using the following line and it didn't do the trick either.

<xsl:stylesheet version="2.0"
xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
xmlns:fn="http://www.w3.org/2005/02/xpath-functions"
xmlns:xdt="http://www.w3.org/2005/02/xpath-datatypes"
xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
exclude-result-prefixes="xdt fo xs fn xhtml xsi">

Can you see what I'm doing wrong here?

just try the attribute exclude-result-prefixes="xdt fo xs fn"

It looks like that:
<xsl:stylesheet version="2.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format" xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:fn="http://www.w3.org/2005/02/xpath-functions" xmlns:xdt="http://www.w3.org/2005/02/xpath-datatypes"
exclude-result-prefixes="xdt fo xs fn">

best regards
  Dieter

[hidden email] schrieb am 08.09.05 03:01:21:

> I am using Saxon 8.3 to transform XML documents into XHTML documents.
> However, Saxon rather randomly inserts attributes into some of the tags.
> Attributes like:
>
> xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format" into <a> tags
> xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" into <table> tags
> xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" also into
>
> The problem with this is that my output cannot validate as XHTML with
> these extra attributes thrown in.  The pages still render in a browser
> but I would like to stop this from happening.  I run the same XSLT
> through the Altova transform engine and it doesn't do this.  I was
> sort of wondering what the purpose of this might be?  And how I can
> turn it off?
>
> Paul Kahle
> Boeing Shared Service Group
> 206-297-8413

RE: Xmlns:fo attributes

Michael Kay
If exclude-result-prefixes doesn't exclude them, it might be (a) because the
namespaces are actually used in the result document, or (b) because they
came from the source document, not from the stylesheet.

RE: Xmlns:fo attributes

Dieter Böll

Hello Paul,

I'm joining the comments from Michael Kay:

"
The namespace declarations are there because your stylesheet has executed
code that puts them there, and without seeing your code one can't be sure of
the reasons. The two most likely reasons are

(a) you generated the element from a literal result element in the
stylesheet, in which case all the inscope namespaces get copied from the
stylesheet unless you exclude them using exclude-result-prefixes

(b) you copied the element from a source document, in which case it gets
copied together with all its in-scope namespaces unless you specify
copy-namespaces="no".

Please note that the latest version of Saxon is 8.5.1, though this isn't
relevant to this issue.

What Altova does, I'm afraid, is no evidence of what the correct behaviour
is.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/"

If you are using <xsl:copy> or <xsl:copy-of> then you have to define the attribute  copy-namespaces="no".
Notabene this attribute is a matter of XSLT 2.0!
In XSLT 1.0 is only the attribute "exclude-result-prefixes" available.

Regards
  Dieter

[hidden email] schrieb am 08.09.05 18:00:58:

> Thanks Dieter
>
> Your suggestion worked to remove those pesky :fo attributes however the xhtml and xsi attributes are still around.  I tried using the following line and it didn't do the trick either.
>
> <xsl:stylesheet version="2.0"
> xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
> xmlns:fn="http://www.w3.org/2005/02/xpath-functions"
> xmlns:xdt="http://www.w3.org/2005/02/xpath-datatypes"
> xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
> exclude-result-prefixes="xdt fo xs fn xhtml xsi">
>
> Can you see what I'm doing wrong here?

RE: Xmlns:fo attributes

Kahle, Paul J
It doesn't come from the source document but I use the following to specify an XHTML result file:

<xsl:output method="xml" version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" omit-xml-declaration="no" doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" doctype-system="xhtml1-transitional.dtd" indent="yes" media-type="text/html"/>

Would the doctype-system="xhtml1-transitional.dtd" perhaps be the thing that makes the result document use this namespace?  Would that be why I can't suppress the other namespaces?

If exclude-result-prefixes doesn't exclude them, it might be (a) because the namespaces are actually used in the result document, or (b) because they came from the source document, not from the stylesheet.

SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf _______________________________________________

RE: Xmlns:fo attributes

Dieter Böll

Paul,

do you need these namespaces really?
That means, does they appear in your source xml or in your xslt?
If not, try to remove the namespase definitions from the xsl:stylesheet tag.
For the rest I don't see any errors in your <xsl:stylesheet> tag.

regards
  Dieter

[hidden email] schrieb am 08.09.05 18:41:29:

> [...]

You still haven't told us anything about your source document or your
stylesheet, which makes it difficult to give you help.

Perhaps it comes from a DTD associated with your source document? I'm
guessing wildly - you're not giving me any choice.

 but I use the

> following to specify an XHTML result file:
>
> <xsl:output method="xml" version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"
> omit-xml-declaration="no" doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD XHTML
> 1.0 Transitional//EN"
> doctype-system="xhtml1-transitional.dtd" indent="yes"
> media-type="text/html"/>
>
> Would the doctype-system="xhtml1-transitional.dtd" perhaps be
> the thing that makes the result document use this namespace?

No.

> Would that be why I can't suppress the other namespaces?

No.

Please try and construct a simple source document and stylesheet that
illustrate what you are doing, and post them.

RE: Xmlns:fo attributes

Kahle, Paul J
OK, sorry, didn't want to write overlong questions.

The source code in this case is simply a single line

The output line in the resulting document is

xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" cellpadding="5"
cellspacing="0">

The XSLT code that handles that particular line is

<xsl:template match="table">
  <xsl:copy>
    <xsl:for-each select="@*[name()!='class' and name()!='background']">
      <xsl:copy/>
    </xsl:for-each>
    <xsl:if test="@background">
      <xsl:attribute name="class">
        <xsl:value-of select="@background"/>
      </xsl:attribute>
    </xsl:if>
    <xsl:for-each select="*">
      <xsl:choose>
        <xsl:when test="name()='caption'">
          <xsl:apply-templates select="." mode="table"/>
        </xsl:when>
        <xsl:otherwise>
          <xsl:apply-templates select="."/>
        </xsl:otherwise>
      </xsl:choose>
    </xsl:for-each>
  </xsl:copy>
> It doesn't come from the source document

You still haven't told us anything about your source document or your
stylesheet, which makes it difficult to give you help.

Perhaps it comes from a DTD associated with your source document? I'm
guessing wildly - you're not giving me any choice.

 but I use the

> following to specify an XHTML result file:
>
> <xsl:output method="xml" version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"
> omit-xml-declaration="no" doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
> Transitional//EN"
> doctype-system="xhtml1-transitional.dtd" indent="yes"
> media-type="text/html"/>
>
> Would the doctype-system="xhtml1-transitional.dtd" perhaps be the
> thing that makes the result document use this namespace?

No.

> Would that be why I can't suppress the other namespaces?

No.

Please try and construct a simple source document and stylesheet that
illustrate what you are doing, and post them.

RE: Xmlns:fo attributes

Kahle, Paul J
Sorry, didn't copy all of source table for some reason.  Here it is.

  <caption>AH-64A Apache Specifications</caption>
    <th align="left">Length:</th>
    <th align="left">Height:</th>
    <th align="left">Wing Span:</th>
    <th align="left" valign="top">Primary Mission Gross Weight
    <th align="left" valign="top">Standard Day</th>
    <th align="left" valign="top">Hot Day ISA + 15C&deg;</th>
    <th align="left" valign="top">Hover In-Ground Effect (MRP)</th>
    <th align="left" valign="top">Hover Out-of-Ground Effect (MRP)</th>
    <th align="left" valign="top">&nbsp;</th>
    <th align="left" valign="top">Sea Level Standard Day</th>
    <th align="left" valign="top">Hot Day 2000 ft 70 F&deg; (21
C&deg;)</th>
    <th align="left" valign="top">Vertical Rate of Climb (MRP)</th>
    <th align="left" valign="top">Maximum Rate of Climb (IRP)</th>
    <th align="left" valign="top">Maximum Level Flight Speed</th>
    <th align="left" valign="top">Cruise Speed (MCP)</th>

> It doesn't come from the source document

You still haven't told us anything about your source document or your
stylesheet, which makes it difficult to give you help.

Perhaps it comes from a DTD associated with your source document? I'm
guessing wildly - you're not giving me any choice.

 but I use the

> following to specify an XHTML result file:
>
> <xsl:output method="xml" version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"
> omit-xml-declaration="no" doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
> Transitional//EN"
> doctype-system="xhtml1-transitional.dtd" indent="yes"
> media-type="text/html"/>
>
> Would the doctype-system="xhtml1-transitional.dtd" perhaps be the
> thing that makes the result document use this namespace?

No.

> Would that be why I can't suppress the other namespaces?

No.

Please try and construct a simple source document and stylesheet that
illustrate what you are doing, and post them.

RE: Xmlns:fo attributes

This suggests that the namespaces are coming from the stylesheet - what does
the omitted xsl:stylesheet element look like?

RE: Xmlns:fo attributes

Dieter Böll

Hello Paul,

I think I see the problem!
You are building the <table>-Element in your output-XHTML with <xsl:copy> (see second line in the posted XSL).
That means, try to use <xsl:copy copy-namespaces = "no"> if you are using XSLT 2.0
(look e.g. http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xslt20-20050404/#shallow-copy)

Best regards

Dieter