XSLT 3.0 : New packages feature support in Saxon

XSLT 3.0 : New packages feature support in Saxon

arkamy
Hi,

I use XSLT and Saxon long time and I am very interested in the new functionality of XSLT 3.0: Packages.
I saw on the site saxonica documentation that this feature is not yet implemented. So I wonder when this implementation is planned. Is the work already started?

Thanks
Arnaud M.

Re: XSLT 3.0 : New packages feature support in Saxon

Michael Kay
Yes, we have started implementation work on this. It has required some fairly extensive internal changes, but we have the basic architecture working; there is a lot of work still on the detail. The design in the spec is proving reasonably sound.

On 11 Sep 2013, at 14:41, arkamy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use XSLT and Saxon long time and I am very interested in the new
> functionality of XSLT 3.0: Packages.
> I saw on the site saxonica documentation that this feature is not yet
> implemented. So I wonder when this implementation is planned. Is the work
> already started?
>
> Thanks
> Arnaud M.

Re: XSLT 3.0 : New packages feature support in Saxon

arkamy
Thank you for this good news.
Have you an idea of ​​the release date of the next version of Saxon PE that will implement this feature ?
Is there a way to test this feature before with a beta version ?

Thanks.
Arnaud Malguy

On 11 Sep 2013, at 16:20, arkamy wrote:

> Thank you for this good news.
> Have you an idea of ​​the release date of the next version of Saxon PE that
> will implement this feature ?

No, sorry, no idea, except that it's some way off (it won't be this year). We haven't decided the packaging either: current thinking, if it makes sense technically, is that we might require use of Saxon-EE in order to create packages, and require only Saxon-HE to deploy them.

> Is there a way to test this feature before with a beta version ?
>
> Thanks.
> Arnaud Malguy

Re: XSLT 3.0 : New packages feature support in Saxon

arkamy
Hi Michael,

Have you do any progress on this implementation ?
More precise release date ?

Thanks
Arnaud Malguy

Re: XSLT 3.0 : New packages feature support in Saxon

Michael Kay

> Hi Michael,
>
> Have you do any progress on this implementation ?
> More precise release date ?

We've decided to ship Saxon 9.6 without full support for the new packages feature. Some of the new syntax will be supported, but it won't be extensively tested and we'll advise it as being for experimental use only.

We never announce release dates, for the very good reason that we never have a target date: we ship when we've passed all the tests. We're probably a month or two away from that at the moment.

Re: XSLT 3.0 : New packages feature support in Saxon

arkamy
Hi Michael,

I read in another post that "Saxon 9.6 will have a limited implementation of packages" and "There are limitations in the implementation e.g. on what kind of components can be overridden"
Could you precise what kind of components can be overriden among those defined in the spec : xsl:template | xsl:function | xsl:accumulator | xsl:variable | xsl:param | xsl:attribute-set ?
Named templates and functions will be supported ?

Thanks a lot.

I'm looking forward to testing saxon 9.6.

Arnaud Malguy

NAML

Re: XSLT 3.0 : New packages feature support in Saxon

Michael Kay
Saxon 9.6 (and its documentation) is now available, but I fear this question isn't very well answered. We're generally advising people that the initial support for packages in this release is somewhat experimental, so it's a "use at your own risk" feature. That's mainly because there isn't very much test material available yet. A rough summary of the support for packaging is:

xsl:package, xsl:use-package, and xsl:override are implemented.

Matching on package versions is not implemented.

xsl:expose and xsl:accept have syntax-only implementations (we check the syntax but it has no effect)

The components that can be overridden are named templates, global variables, and functions: not attribute sets and accumulators. (The ability to override xsl:param has gone in the latest spec).

Importantly, modes are treated as final: if a mode is declared in one package, you can invoke it in another, but you can't add more template rules to the mode.

We'll be treating packages in this release a bit like we treated streaming in the previous release: if problems are found, we'd like to hear about them, but we won't guarantee to fix them.

The other important restriction with packages in 9.6 is that although they can be compiled separately from each other, the compiled package can exist only in memory; there's no way of saving it to filestore or letting people download it in compiled form. I expect this will be a major topic of work for 9.7.

On 1 Oct 2014, at 14:17, arkamy <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Michael,

I read in another post that "Saxon 9.6 will have a limited implementation of packages" and "There are limitations in the implementation e.g. on what kind of components can be overridden"
Could you precise what kind of components can be overriden among those defined in the spec : xsl:template | xsl:function | xsl:accumulator | xsl:variable | xsl:param | xsl:attribute-set ?
Named templates and functions will be supported ?

Thanks a lot.

I'm looking forward to testing saxon 9.6.

Arnaud Malguy

Le 21/07/2014 16:28, Michael Kay [via Saxon XSLT and XQuery Processor] a écrit :

> Hi Michael,
>
> Have you do any progress on this implementation ?
> More precise release date ?

We've decided to ship Saxon 9.6 without full support for the new packages feature. Some of the new syntax will be supported, but it won't be extensively tested and we'll advise it as being for experimental use only.

We never announce release dates, for the very good reason that we never have a target date: we ship when we've passed all the tests. We're probably a month or two away from that at the moment.

NAML

Sent from the saxon-help mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: XSLT 3.0 : New packages feature support in Saxon

arkamy
Thanks a lot for your detailed answer.
I discover this morning that saxon 9.6 is out. Cool.

I will test the package implementation.
One things I'm not sure to understand it's how to identify a package to use it in antoher package.
From now, with standard stylesheet we use URI. One xsl file can include another with its uri.
But package use name and version. I understand that saxon 9.6 doesn't use version, only name.
The spec tell that it does not define how the implementation locates a package given its name and version.
I understand that URI is prohibited to allow to used compiled package.
Then how Saxon doing this ? Are we forced to work on memoy ? Not possible to use not compiled package file in the usual way with standard stylesheet.
I hope that I'm am prety clear.

Thanks a lot.

Arnaud Malguy

NAML

Re: XSLT 3.0 : New packages feature support in Saxon

Michael Kay
On the command line (I'm not sure we documented this), you can supply as the -xsl option a list of package filenames separated by semicolons; they should then find each other automatically.

From the s9api interface, you call XsltCompiler.compilePackage() to compile a package, and XsltCompiler.importPackage() to import a package; when you compile a package, the packages it uses must have been imported so that the XsltCompiler knows about them.

That's a "pro tem" design, I expect we'll come up with some kind of catalog or classpath-like mechanism in future.

On 3 Oct 2014, at 18:17, arkamy <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer.
I discover this morning that saxon 9.6 is out. Cool.

I will test the package implementation.
One things I'm not sure to understand it's how to identify a package to use it in antoher package.
From now, with standard stylesheet we use URI. One xsl file can include another with its uri.
[...]

<a moz-do-not-send="true" href="x-msg://134/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=13284&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]
+44 (0) 118 946 5893

On 1 Oct 2014, at 14:17, arkamy <<a moz-do-not-send="true" href="x-msg://134/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=13284&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Michael,

I read in another post that "Saxon 9.6 will have a limited implementation of packages" and "There are limitations in the implementation e.g. on what kind of components can be overridden"
Could you precise what kind of components can be overriden among those defined in the spec : xsl:template | xsl:function | xsl:accumulator | xsl:variable | xsl:param | xsl:attribute-set ?
Named templates and functions will be supported ?

Thanks a lot.

I'm looking forward to testing saxon 9.6.

Arnaud Malguy

Le 21/07/2014 16:28, Michael Kay [via Saxon XSLT and XQuery Processor] a écrit :

> Hi Michael,
>
> Have you do any progress on this implementation ?
> More precise release date ?

We've decided to ship Saxon 9.6 without full support for the new packages feature. Some of the new syntax will be supported, but it won't be extensively tested and we'll advise it as being for experimental use only.

We never announce release dates, for the very good reason that we never have a target date: we ship when we've passed all the tests. We're probably a month or two away from that at the moment.

<a moz-do-not-send="true" href="<a href="x-msg://124/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;amp;node=13140&amp;amp;i=0">x-msg://124/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=13140&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]

To unsubscribe from XSLT 3.0 : New packages feature support in Saxon, click here.
NAML

Sent from the saxon-help mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

NAML

Sent from the saxon-help mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: XSLT 3.0 : New packages feature support in Saxon

arkamy

OK. Thanks. I will try the two methods

Le 3 oct. 2014 19:30, "Michael Kay [via Saxon XSLT and XQuery Processor]" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On the command line (I'm not sure we documented this), you can supply as the -xsl option a list of package filenames separated by semicolons; they should then find each other automatically.

From the s9api interface, you call XsltCompiler.compilePackage() to compile a package, and XsltCompiler.importPackage() to import a package; when you compile a package, the packages it uses must have been imported so that the XsltCompiler knows about them.

That's a "pro tem" design, I expect we'll come up with some kind of catalog or classpath-like mechanism in future.

On 3 Oct 2014, at 18:17, arkamy <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer.
I discover this morning that saxon 9.6 is out. Cool.

I will test the package implementation.
One things I'm not sure to understand it's how to identify a package to use it in antoher package.
From now, with standard stylesheet we use URI. One xsl file can include another with its uri.