Why is the use-character-maps attribute not an AVT?

Why is the use-character-maps attribute not an AVT?

Stefan Wachter
Hi all,

it seems that the the use-character-maps attribute of the
xsl:result-document instruction is not an attribute value template. Is
this by purpose or is this a bug? The indent attribute is an attribute
value template. Therefore I expected the use-character-maps attribute
also to be one.

Thanks for your attention,
--Stefan

PS: I want to have a stylesheet than can be parameterized by different
character-maps.

RE: Why is the use-character-maps attribute not an AVT?

Michael Kay
This restriction is present in the XSLT 2.0 specification.

It's there on the general principle that whenever the name of one stylesheet
object appears as an attribute of another stylesheet object, the name is
fixed statically. It's therefore consistent with things like
call-template/@name, apply-templates/@mode and result-document/@format.

I would personally prefer many more of these things to be dynamic -
especially if the dynamic value was an expanded QName rather than a lexical
QName! - but the WG has in general been opposed to that.

Note that you can override the output properties of the stylesheet from the
Java API using setOutputProperty(). I think this should work for character
maps, though I don't think I've tested it. Specify the name in Clark
notation: {uri}local.

Many thanks for that information. I already feared that character-maps
are not dynamic by purpose. Yet, I had a slight hope because they
influence serialization only.

--Stefan