Why HE jar doesn't contain net.sf.saxon.option?

Why HE jar doesn't contain net.sf.saxon.option?

schleicher
Hi all!

Does anybody know why HE jar doesn't contain net.sf.saxon.option package?
But source 9.6.0.7 does.

I'm trying to upgrade from older version, become again [Language: en] on
my multilang stuff. After revision I found that Numberers for european
languages cannot be initialized, and jar does not contain them.

Further I tried to compile Saxon from source, but that ended with many
other errors, I solved this problem simply by compile
net.sf.saxon.option package and include it to my libraries against
original HE jar.

Actually I have no specific question, I want just to tell my story :-)

Leo

Re: Why HE jar doesn't contain net.sf.saxon.option?

Michael Kay
When we introduced the HE/PE/EE packaging in Saxon 9.2, we wanted to establish a simple story where HE contained everything needed for minimum conformance to the W3C standards, PE contained optional features and extensions, and EE contained “high performance” features. Support for additional languages, additional data models (such as JDOM and DOM4J), and extensions such as SQL therefore only went into the PE product.

An additional consideration was that we wanted to make it easier to build the HE product from source without having to make sure all the optional dependencies were satisfied. Leaving these features out left a much simpler build.

Also, various “downstream” third parties distributing Saxon-HE as part of their own open source offerings (for example some of the Linux distributors) were asking us awkward questions about the origin of some of the code. While we have always been careful to ensure that we only use code that we are allowed to use, in the early days we weren’t always careful about making sure that we could prove it when challenged, for example there were no signed contributor agreements. Some of the contributions came from employees of big companies, and we never asked for evidence that their employers had authorised the contribution.

However, since many of these extensions had originally been contributed in good faith as open source code by third parties, so we thought it was only fair that they should continue to be made available to non-paying users. Publishing them in source form, but not as an integrated or validated part of the HE package, was a compromise solution.

> On 14 Sep 2015, at 11:16, Leonid Schleicher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all!
>
> Does anybody know why HE jar doesn't contain net.sf.saxon.option package?
> But source 9.6.0.7 does.
>
> I'm trying to upgrade from older version, become again [Language: en] on
> my multilang stuff. After revision I found that Numberers for european
> languages cannot be initialized, and jar does not contain them.
>
> Further I tried to compile Saxon from source, but that ended with many
> other errors, I solved this problem simply by compile
> net.sf.saxon.option package and include it to my libraries against
> original HE jar.
>
> Actually I have no specific question, I want just to tell my story :-)
>
> Leo

Re: Why HE jar doesn't contain net.sf.saxon.option?

schleicher
Thank You, Michael!