Using character entities in pattern in the xpath replace() function

Using character entities in pattern in the xpath replace() function

Tim Terlegård
Hi,

I want to replace a certain unicode character in a string with some other character. I can't get this to work.

I tried a simple example like this:
replace('banana', 'b', 'c')

and from that I want the result "canana", but I get the original string "banana".

Below is the code I tried. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Tim

import net.sf.saxon.s9api.*;

public class Test {
    Processor proc = new Processor(false);
    XPathCompiler xpath = proc.newXPathCompiler();

    XPathSelector selector = xpath.compile("replace('banana', 'b', 'c')").load();

    XdmValue children = selector.evaluate();

    for (XdmItem item : children) {
      XdmAtomicValue node = (XdmAtomicValue) item;
      String value = node.getStringValue();
      System.out.println(value);

Re: Using character entities in pattern in the xpath replace() function

Eric van der Vlist
Hi,

The "x" in b stands for heXadecimal and 62 is the unicode code for
"b" in decimal!

You should thus use either '>' (decimal) or '>' (hexadecimal)
to represent 'b'...

Eric

Le vendredi 13 mars 2015 à 09:00 +0100, Tim Terlegård a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I want to replace a certain unicode character in a string with some other
> character. I can't get this to work.
>
> I tried a simple example like this:
> replace('banana', 'b', 'c')
>
> and from that I want the result "canana", but I get the original string
> "banana".
>
> Below is the code I tried. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim
>

> import net.sf.saxon.s9api.*;
>
> public class Test {
>   public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception {
>     Processor proc = new Processor(false);
>     XPathCompiler xpath = proc.newXPathCompiler();
>
>     XPathSelector selector = xpath.compile("replace('banana', 'b',
> 'c')").load();
>
>     XdmValue children = selector.evaluate();
>
>     for (XdmItem item : children) {
>       XdmAtomicValue node = (XdmAtomicValue) item;
>       String value = node.getStringValue();
>       System.out.println(value);
>     }
>   }
> }

Re: Using character entities in pattern in the xpath replace() function

Gunther Rademacher
The decimal of Unicode lower case b is 98, so x62 would be fine (x3E standing for a greater sign).

But XPath does not have entity resolution for string literals, this is particular to XQuery.

Can be found in the corresponding definitions:

Best regards,
Gunther

Gesendet: Freitag, 13. März 2015 um 09:58 Uhr
Von: "Eric van der Vlist" <[hidden email]>
An: "Mailing list for the SAXON XSLT and XQuery processor" <[hidden email]>
Betreff: Re: [saxon] Using character entities in pattern in the xpath replace() function
Hi,

The "x" in &#x62; stands for heXadecimal and 62 is the unicode code for
"b" in decimal!

You should thus use either '&#62;' (decimal) or '&#x3e;' (hexadecimal)
to represent 'b'...

Eric

Le vendredi 13 mars 2015 à 09:00 +0100, Tim Terlegård a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I want to replace a certain unicode character in a string with some other
> character. I can't get this to work.
>
> I tried a simple example like this:
> replace('banana', '&#x62;', 'c')
>
> and from that I want the result "canana", but I get the original string
> "banana".
>
> Below is the code I tried. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim
>

> import net.sf.saxon.s9api.*;
>
> public class Test {
> Processor proc = new Processor(false);
> XPathCompiler xpath = proc.newXPathCompiler();
>
> XPathSelector selector = xpath.compile("replace('banana', '&#x62;',
> 'c')").load();
>
> XdmValue children = selector.evaluate();
>
> for (XdmItem item : children) {
> XdmAtomicValue node = (XdmAtomicValue) item;
> String value = node.getStringValue();
> System.out.println(value);
> }
> }
> }

Re: Using character entities in pattern in the xpath replace() function

Tim Terlegård
That certainly explains it. This was not very obvious from reading docs, for instance:

I'll see if I can find some other way to accomplish my use case.

Many thanks,
Tim

Gesendet: Freitag, 13. März 2015 um 09:58 Uhr
Von: "Eric van der Vlist" <[hidden email]>
An: "Mailing list for the SAXON XSLT and XQuery processor" <[hidden email]>
Hi,

The "x" in &#x62; stands for heXadecimal and 62 is the unicode code for
"b" in decimal!

You should thus use either '&#62;' (decimal) or '&#x3e;' (hexadecimal)
to represent 'b'...

Eric

Le vendredi 13 mars 2015 à 09:00 +0100, Tim Terlegård a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I want to replace a certain unicode character in a string with some other
> character. I can't get this to work.
>
> I tried a simple example like this:
> replace('banana', '&#x62;', 'c')
>
> and from that I want the result "canana", but I get the original string
> "banana".
>
> Below is the code I tried. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim
>

> import net.sf.saxon.s9api.*;
>
> public class Test {
> Processor proc = new Processor(false);
> XPathCompiler xpath = proc.newXPathCompiler();
>
> XPathSelector selector = xpath.compile("replace('banana', '&#x62;',
> 'c')").load();
>
> XdmValue children = selector.evaluate();
>
> for (XdmItem item : children) {
> XdmAtomicValue node = (XdmAtomicValue) item;
> String value = node.getStringValue();
> System.out.println(value);
> }
> }
> }

Re: Using character entities in pattern in the xpath replace() function

Dave Pawson-2
No, but the parser does.

Dave

On 13 March 2015 at 09:41, Gunther Rademacher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The decimal of Unicode lower case b is 98, so x62 would be fine (x3E
> standing for a greater sign).
>
> But XPath does not have entity resolution for string literals, this is
> particular to XQuery.
>
> Can be found in the corresponding definitions:
>
>    - XPath 1.0: http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath/#strings
>    - XPath 3.0: http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-30/#doc-xpath30-StringLiteral
>    - XQuery 3.0: http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-30/#doc-xquery30-StringLiteral
>
> Best regards,
> Gunther
>
> Gesendet: Freitag, 13. März 2015 um 09:58 Uhr
> Von: "Eric van der Vlist" <[hidden email]>
> An: "Mailing list for the SAXON XSLT and XQuery processor"
> <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [saxon] Using character entities in pattern in the xpath
> replace() function
> Hi,
>
> The "x" in &#x62; stands for heXadecimal and 62 is the unicode code for
> "b" in decimal!
>
> You should thus use either '&#62;' (decimal) or '&#x3e;' (hexadecimal)
> to represent 'b'...
>
> Eric
>

> Le vendredi 13 mars 2015 à 09:00 +0100, Tim Terlegård a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to replace a certain unicode character in a string with some other
>> character. I can't get this to work.
>>
>> I tried a simple example like this:
>> replace('banana', '&#x62;', 'c')
>>
>> and from that I want the result "canana", but I get the original string
>> "banana".
>>
>> Below is the code I tried. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tim
>>

>> import net.sf.saxon.s9api.*;
>>
>> public class Test {
>> public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception {
>> Processor proc = new Processor(false);
>> XPathCompiler xpath = proc.newXPathCompiler();
>>
>> XPathSelector selector = xpath.compile("replace('banana', '&#x62;',
>> 'c')").load();
>>
>> XdmValue children = selector.evaluate();
>>
>> for (XdmItem item : children) {
>> XdmAtomicValue node = (XdmAtomicValue) item;
>> String value = node.getStringValue();
>> System.out.println(value);
>> }
>> }
>> }

>> Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website,
>> sponsored
>> by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for
>> all
>> things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs
>> news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the
>> conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/

> sponsored
> all

> sponsored
> all

Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
Docbook FAQ.
http://www.dpawson.co.uk

Re: Using character entities in pattern in the xpath replace() function

Gunther Rademacher
Well, the XML parser does. Thus it's fine to have this in XSLT:

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl='http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform' version='2.0'>
  <xsl:template match='/'>
    <xsl:value-of select="replace('banana', '&#x62;', 'c')"/>

and have the entity resolved before the XPath parser comes to play.

Gesendet: Freitag, 13. März 2015 um 11:32 Uhr
Von: "Dave Pawson" <[hidden email]>
An: "Mailing list for the SAXON XSLT and XQuery processor" <[hidden email]>
> [...]

>> Processor proc = new Processor(false);
>> XPathCompiler xpath = proc.newXPathCompiler();
>>
>> XPathSelector selector = xpath.compile("replace('banana', '&#x62;',
>> 'c')").load();
>>
>> XdmValue children = selector.evaluate();
>>
>> for (XdmItem item : children) {
>> XdmAtomicValue node = (XdmAtomicValue) item;
>> String value = node.getStringValue();
>> System.out.println(value);
>> }
>> }
>> }

>> Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website,
>> sponsored
>> by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for
>> all
>> things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs
>> news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the

Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
Docbook FAQ.
http://www.dpawson.co.uk

Re: Using character entities in pattern in the xpath replace() function

Gunther is correct. XQuery expands entity references (and character references) within string literals, XPath does not.

This is because XPath is designed to be embedded in XML, where it is assumed that entities have already been expanded by the XML parser. If XPath did expand entities, it would happen twice, so XSLT users would have to write

select="replace(., '&amp;x62;', 'c')"/>

Perhaps XPath should have defined a mode of execution where character references are handled the same way as XQuery, for use in contexts where XML entity expansion doesn't occur; but it doesn't.