Saxon CE expectations

David Birnbaum
Dear Jirka (cc Mike, saxon-help),

> document.write() method is disabled in XHTML and XML documents

Thank you for the quick and helpful diagnosis. I can work around the problem, to be sure, by invoking the text/html mime type, but the W3C documentation seems to say not that XML should be avoided, but that document.write() should be avoided (follow the link above for the argumentation).

I don't have a stake in the outcome because I can work around the problem, but as long as Mike is listening: is document.write() something Saxon CE plans to replace in the future?

Thanks again,

David

Re: Saxon CE expectations

Jirka Kosek
On 5.1.2015 22:48, David Birnbaum wrote:
> I don't have a stake in the outcome because I can work around the problem,
> but as long as Mike is listening: is document.write() something Saxon CE
> plans to replace in the future?

I suspect that the code in question was generated by GWT compiler, so
unless Google changes its compiler, I doubt there will be any chance for
change.

But seriously why do you want to use XHTML in the age of HTML5?

                                Jirka

  Jirka Kosek      e-mail: [hidden email]      http://xmlguru.cz
     Professional XML and Web consulting and training services
DocBook/DITA customization, custom XSLT/XSL-FO document processing

Re: Saxon CE expectations

Martynas Jusevičius

I second the XHTML usage. I'm having exactly the same issue. Otherwise Saxon-CE is great.

Martynas

On Jan 5, 2015 10:51 PM, "Jirka Kosek" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 5.1.2015 22:48, David Birnbaum wrote:
> I don't have a stake in the outcome because I can work around the problem,
> but as long as Mike is listening: is document.write() something Saxon CE
> plans to replace in the future?

I suspect that the code in question was generated by GWT compiler, so
unless Google changes its compiler, I doubt there will be any chance for
change.

But seriously why do you want to use XHTML in the age of HTML5?

                                Jirka

  Jirka Kosek      e-mail: [hidden email]      http://xmlguru.cz
     Professional XML and Web consulting and training services
DocBook/DITA customization, custom XSLT/XSL-FO document processing

Re: Saxon CE expectations

> I suspect that the code in question was generated by GWT compiler, so
> unless Google changes its compiler, I doubt there will be any chance for
> change.

Correct, I'm afraid this is out of our hands. We have no control over the JS code that GWT generates (indeed, we have very little understanding of it...)

Re: Saxon CE expectations

David Birnbaum
Dear Michael (cc Jirka and saxon-help),

Thanks for the quick response. Good to know, and, as I wrote earlier, not really a problem, although it was a source of confusion at first.

Best,

David

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 6:08 PM, Michael Kay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I suspect that the code in question was generated by GWT compiler, so
> unless Google changes its compiler, I doubt there will be any chance for
> change.

Correct, I'm afraid this is out of our hands. We have no control over the JS code that GWT generates (indeed, we have very little understanding of it...)

Re: Saxon CE expectations

Earl Hood-3
On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 3:48 PM, David Birnbaum wrote:

>> document.write() method is disabled in XHTML and XML documents
>> See: http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/webappapis.html#document.write()
>
> Thank you for the quick and helpful diagnosis. I can work around the
> problem, to be sure, by invoking the text/html mime type, but the W3C
> documentation seems to say not that XML should be avoided, but that
> document.write() should be avoided (follow the link above for the
> argumentation).

Actually, it says for XML documents, an exception should be thrown (make
note of sentence after warning):

  document.write(text...)

      In general, adds the given string(s) to the Document's input stream.

      Warning! This method has very idiosyncratic behavior. In some
      cases, this method can affect the state of the HTML parser while
      the parser is running, resulting in a DOM that does not correspond
      to the source of the document (e.g. if the string written is the
      string "<plaintext>" or "<!--"). In other cases, the call can
      clear the current page first, as if document.open() had been
      called. In yet more cases, the method is simply ignored, or throws
      an exception.  To make matters worse, the exact behavior of this
      method can in some cases be dependent on network latency, which
      can lead to failures that are very hard to debug. For all these
      reasons, use of this method is strongly discouraged.

      This method throws an InvalidStateError exception when invoked on XML
      documents.

--ewh

Re: Saxon CE expectations

Martynas Jusevičius
So, is this is a dead-end? No way to use Saxon-CE with
application/xhtml+xml media type?

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 12:42 AM, Earl Hood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 3:48 PM, David Birnbaum wrote:
>
>>> document.write() method is disabled in XHTML and XML documents
>>> See: http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/webappapis.html#document.write()
>>
>> Thank you for the quick and helpful diagnosis. I can work around the
>> problem, to be sure, by invoking the text/html mime type, but the W3C
>> documentation seems to say not that XML should be avoided, but that
>> document.write() should be avoided (follow the link above for the
>> argumentation).
>
> Actually, it says for XML documents, an exception should be thrown (make
> note of sentence after warning):
>
>   document.write(text...)
>
>       In general, adds the given string(s) to the Document's input stream.
>
>       Warning! This method has very idiosyncratic behavior. In some
>       cases, this method can affect the state of the HTML parser while
>       the parser is running, resulting in a DOM that does not correspond
>       to the source of the document (e.g. if the string written is the
>       string "<plaintext>" or "<!--"). In other cases, the call can
>       clear the current page first, as if document.open() had been
>       called. In yet more cases, the method is simply ignored, or throws
>       an exception.  To make matters worse, the exact behavior of this
>       method can in some cases be dependent on network latency, which
>       can lead to failures that are very hard to debug. For all these
>       reasons, use of this method is strongly discouraged.
>
>       This method throws an InvalidStateError exception when invoked on XML
>       documents.
>
> --ewh

Re: Saxon CE expectations

Michael Kay
Sorry, I can't see how your conclusion (No way to use Saxon-CE with application/xhtml+xml media type) follows in any way from the discussion about document.write().

Perhaps I'm missing some context.

On 30 Apr 2015, at 02:54, Martynas Jusevičius <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So, is this is a dead-end? No way to use Saxon-CE with
> application/xhtml+xml media type?

>>> Thank you for the quick and helpful diagnosis. I can work around the
>>> problem, to be sure, by invoking the text/html mime type, but the W3C
>>> documentation seems to say not that XML should be avoided, but that
>>> document.write() should be avoided (follow the link above for the
>>> argumentation).
>>
>> Actually, it says for XML documents, an exception should be thrown (make
>> note of sentence after warning):
>>
>>  document.write(text...)
>>
>>      In general, adds the given string(s) to the Document's input stream.
>>
>>      Warning! This method has very idiosyncratic behavior. In some
>>      cases, this method can affect the state of the HTML parser while
>>      the parser is running, resulting in a DOM that does not correspond
>>      to the source of the document (e.g. if the string written is the
>>      string "<plaintext>" or "<!--"). In other cases, the call can
>>      clear the current page first, as if document.open() had been
>>      called. In yet more cases, the method is simply ignored, or throws
>>      an exception.  To make matters worse, the exact behavior of this
>>      method can in some cases be dependent on network latency, which
>>      can lead to failures that are very hard to debug. For all these
>>      reasons, use of this method is strongly discouraged.
>>
>>      This method throws an InvalidStateError exception when invoked on XML
>>      documents.
>>
>> --ewh

Re: Saxon CE expectations

Martynas Jusevičius
Well my assessment of this situation is the following:
- application/xhtml+xml Content-Type triggers strict mode in browsers
- document.write() is disabled in strict mode
- Saxon-CE does not work without document.write()

Therefore, Saxon-CE does not work with application/xhtml+xml. This can
be worked around using text/html, just like the OP mentioned, but that
introduces other problems.

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 9:41 AM, Michael Kay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, I can't see how your conclusion (No way to use Saxon-CE with application/xhtml+xml media type) follows in any way from the discussion about document.write().
>
> Perhaps I'm missing some context.

> +44 (0) 118 946 5893
>

> On 30 Apr 2015, at 02:54, Martynas Jusevičius <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> So, is this is a dead-end? No way to use Saxon-CE with
>> application/xhtml+xml media type?

>>> Actually, it says for XML documents, an exception should be thrown (make
>>> note of sentence after warning):
>>>
>>>  document.write(text...)
>>>
>>>      In general, adds the given string(s) to the Document's input stream.
>>>
>>>      Warning! This method has very idiosyncratic behavior. In some
>>>      cases, this method can affect the state of the HTML parser while
>>>      the parser is running, resulting in a DOM that does not correspond
>>>      to the source of the document (e.g. if the string written is the
>>>      string "<plaintext>" or "<!--"). In other cases, the call can
>>>      clear the current page first, as if document.open() had been
>>>      called. In yet more cases, the method is simply ignored, or throws
>>>      an exception.  To make matters worse, the exact behavior of this
>>>      method can in some cases be dependent on network latency, which
>>>      can lead to failures that are very hard to debug. For all these
>>>      reasons, use of this method is strongly discouraged.
>>>
>>>      This method throws an InvalidStateError exception when invoked on XML
>>>      documents.
>>>
>>> --ewh

Re: Saxon CE expectations

Вячеслав Седов
what about using xqieryInBrowser update feature?
http://xqib.org/js/DeleteInsert.html

> Well my assessment of this situation is the following:
> - application/xhtml+xml Content-Type triggers strict mode in browsers
> - document.write() is disabled in strict mode
> - Saxon-CE does not work without document.write()
>
> Therefore, Saxon-CE does not work with application/xhtml+xml. This can
> be worked around using text/html, just like the OP mentioned, but that
> introduces other problems.
>
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 9:41 AM, Michael Kay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sorry, I can't see how your conclusion (No way to use Saxon-CE with application/xhtml+xml media type) follows in any way from the discussion about document.write().
>>
>> Perhaps I'm missing some context.
>>
>> Michael Kay
>> Saxonica
>> [hidden email]
>> +44 (0) 118 946 5893
>>

>> On 30 Apr 2015, at 02:54, Martynas Jusevičius <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> So, is this is a dead-end? No way to use Saxon-CE with
>>> application/xhtml+xml media type?

Re: Saxon CE expectations

Michael Kay
I think the issue is that the document.write() call is done by GWT, not by Saxon-CE itself. That makes it difficult to change.