Saxon CE expectations

David Birnbaum
Dear Saxon-help,

I've just installed and begun experimenting with Saxon CE, and I notice that my test document works if I give it an .html extension, which on my server triggers mime headers for text/html. It throws an error with an .xhtml extension, which triggers mime headers forĀ application/xhtml+xml. Is this behavior expected? The document is HTML5 with doctype and namespace declarations and is well-formed XML. I get the same behavior with and without an XML declaration.

Thanks,

David

Re: Saxon CE expectations

Jirka Kosek
On 5.1.2015 17:55, David Birnbaum wrote:
> I've just installed and begun experimenting with Saxon CE, and I notice
> that my test document works if I give it an .html extension, which on my
> server triggers mime headers for text/html. It throws an error with an
> .xhtml extension, which triggers mime headers for application/xhtml+xml. Is
> this behavior expected? The document is HTML5 with doctype and namespace
> declarations and is well-formed XML. I get the same behavior with and
> without an XML declaration.

XHTML processing in browsers has many quirks, so it's better to avoid
XHTML and stick to HTML. Do you have any reason not to just use HTML?

                                Jirka

  Jirka Kosek      e-mail: [hidden email]      http://xmlguru.cz
     Professional XML and Web consulting and training services
DocBook/DITA customization, custom XSLT/XSL-FO document processing

Re: Saxon CE expectations

Throws an error? What sort of error?

On 5 Jan 2015, at 16:55, David Birnbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Saxon-help,

I've just installed and begun experimenting with Saxon CE, and I notice that my test document works if I give it an .html extension, which on my server triggers mime headers for text/html. It throws an error with an .xhtml extension, which triggers mime headers for application/xhtml+xml. Is this behavior expected? The document is HTML5 with doctype and namespace declarations and is well-formed XML. I get the same behavior with and without an XML declaration.

Thanks,

David