Quantcast

Saxon-B 8.9 JARs in a Maven repository?

Jean-Sebastien Delfino
Hi,

The Apache Tuscany project [1] is starting to use Saxon-B to support
development of SCA [2] components in the XQuery language. The Tuscany
code that uses Saxon is at [3] and [4] if you're interested in taking a
look and relevant discussion threads are archived at [5].

In order to integrate that feature in our build, we need Saxon 8.9
available in a public Maven repository, but
http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven2/saxon/saxon/ only contains
saxon 8.7.

Could you please publish 8.9 as well? or is 8.9 already available in
another public Maven repository?

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/
[2] http://www.oasis-opencsa.org/sca
[3]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/java/sca/modules/implementation-xquery/
[4]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/java/sca/samples/quote-xquery/
[5] http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@.../msg21463.html

Thanks

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Saxon-B 8.9 JARs in a Maven repository?

Michael Kay
The only place I publish Saxon is on SourceForge. Anyone else who wants to
republish it somewhere else is welcome to do so provided they adhere to the
licensing conditions, but I don't intend to do that myself.

clicker

Michael Kay wrote
The only place I publish Saxon is on SourceForge. Anyone else who wants to
republish it somewhere else is welcome to do so provided they adhere to the
licensing conditions, but I don't intend to do that myself.
Since maven is the new java power tool and maven community of user is growing,
it would be appreciated that saxon is also made avaible as a maven project and not only as a ant project.
Wherever it is published does not matter so much even though a maven repository is more convenient.

Re: Saxon-B 8.9 JARs in a Maven repository?

Abel Braaksma (online)
clicker wrote:

> Michael Kay wrote:
>
>> The only place I publish Saxon is on SourceForge. Anyone else who wants to
>> republish it somewhere else is welcome to do so provided they adhere to
>> the
>> licensing conditions, but I don't intend to do that myself.
>>

> Since maven is the new java power tool and maven community of user is
> growing,
> it would be appreciated that saxon is also made avaible as a maven project
> and not only as a ant project.
> Wherever it is published does not matter so much even though a maven
> repository is more convenient.

since Saxon is open source, and since you seem to know something of
Maven, you are very welcome to publish it to Maven. Perhaps you can even
create a little Ant script that can be doubleclicked and does an
immediate update of one or several Maven repositories. You can then ask
Michael Kay to do this double clicking for you whenever there's an
update....

But I understand Michael's standpoint. It is much easier if you only
have one place to worry about. Less chance of getting out of sync. Can't
you instruct Maven to just update when the file list in Sourceforge
updates? That would probably aid a lot of other projects on SF as well ;)

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma

Re: Saxon-B 8.9 JARs in a Maven repository?

> Since maven is the new java power tool and maven community of
> user is growing, it would be appreciated that saxon is also
> made avaible as a maven project and not only as a ant project.
> Wherever it is published does not matter so much even though
> a maven repository is more convenient.

If having Saxon in the Maven repository is important to some particular user
community, then someone in that community should take responsibility for
putting it there. I don't want to take that responsibility. I don't believe
in pushing software to people; I believe in making it available and letting
them decide when to take it. Also, it would be better done by someone who
understands Maven much better than I do.

One of the reasons that Saxon works so well as a single-developer project is
that I avoid doing things that could be done equally well (or better) by
someone else.

Re: Saxon-B 8.9 JARs in a Maven repository?

clicker
> Perhaps you can even
> create a little Ant script that can be doubleclicked and does an
> immediate update of one or several Maven repositories.
The procedure for uploading a new artifact into maven repository
cannot be done by simply clicking on an ant script on the user side.

> The only place I publish Saxon is on SourceForge. Anyone else who wants to
> republish it somewhere else is welcome to do so

> It is much easier if you only have one place to worry about.
> Less chance of getting out of sync.

I am not asking Michael to publish Saxon on sourceforge AND maven central repository
but more simply that the release available on sourceforge is compliant with a maven layout.
That way the project could be automatically synchronized into the maven central repository.

http://maven.apache.org/project-faq.html
If you able to publish your releases to a Maven2 style repository and make it available over rsync, we can automatically publish them to ibiblio when released. This procedure requires that you take full responsibility for your metadata, but also ensures the best service for your users. If this is interesting to your project, contact dev@maven.apache.org.
see
http://maven.apache.org/repository/index.html
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-central-repository-upload.html

I believe that using Maven for Saxon could also be profitable to Michael.
It doesn't take much effort to get the basic of maven.

I'm not proficient in Maven2 neither I am in ant scripting.
I've just switched to maven the past days without any problem.
I took me 10 minutes to adapt Saxon so it can be built by Maven in my local repository.
but i cannot guarantee what i did is right.

- the layout of the source files need to be changed
- a metadata files pom.xml (one per articfact) need to be added
- I removed manually all the DOTNET dependency in the source code.

I guess I can try to add an extra maven target to the ant script
in order to automate the generation of a maven layout
and forward it with the pom.xml files to Michael.

clicker wrote:
> I am not asking Michael to publish Saxon on sourceforge AND maven central
> repository
> but more simply that the release available on sourceforge is compliant with
> a maven layout.
> That way the project could be automatically synchronized into the maven
> central repository.
>
> http://maven.apache.org/project-faq.html

aha, the word "automatic" might be interesting, and may even be
tempting. But sourceforge is a large system with hundredths of thousands
of projects. Do you mean to say that you want to change the policy of
sourceforge, or do you mean that it is easy to configure it on a per
project basis to be "maven compliant"?

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma

Re: Saxon-B 8.9 JARs in a Maven repository?

clicker
> aha, the word "automatic" might be interesting, and may even be
> tempting. But sourceforge is a large system with hundredths of thousands
> of projects. Do you mean to say that you want to change the policy of
> sourceforge, or do you mean that it is easy to configure it on a per
> project basis to be "maven compliant"?

just read maven documentation and u'll get all your answers:
http://maven.apache.org/project-faq.html
http://maven.apache.org/repository/index.html
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-central-repository-upload.html

Sync'ing your own repository to the central repository automatically

This is the preferred process. You first have to setup your project to deploy to a remote repository .

You must make sure the remote repository server has rsync or rsync over ssh, there are free services like Sourceforge that provide you ssh server access .

After you are able to deploy to your remote repository make sure you only deploy releases . Then you can provide a script like the current scripts , open an issue under MAVENUPLOAD and attach the script, and we'll add it to the automatically synced repos.

Make sure you provide proof of owning the domain that matches the groupId (see groupId considerations above). Proof means either the server to sync from has a name under that domain, your name shows up in a prominent place in the domain, or you provide a link to a whois database where your name shows up as the domain owner.

If you are using ssh in your own server you need to add the maven public key to the authorized ones to allow us to log in the machine.

Remember to subscribe to repository mailing list .

Important : nothing is deleted or changed in the Central Repository after it is synced (except maven-metadata.xml files)
* U submit your project for approval to maven.

* The project is published only at SF
The project has of course to be maven compliant:
presence of metadata files and specific project directories layout

* Maven central will pull automatically any new releases into its own repository.

There is no policy or whatsoever to be changed on SF side.

Many commons and popular java projects are published on SF
and are also available in the maven central repository
by proceeding that way.

Beside the fact that once the project can be built with maven,
I dont think u ever want to maintain again an ant script.

In the case of saxon I guess ant scripting will remain in use
as the script is also capable of building dotnet version of the project.

Cheers