Saxon 9.7: Major release of Saxon

O'Neil Delpratt
Dear All,,

We are pleased to announce the release of Saxon 9.7. The first major release in over a year.

The release last Friday is for the Java platform only; Saxon on .NET will follow shortly.

Product headlines:

* XSLT 3.0 implementation largely complete (requires Saxon-PE and Saxon-EE). The new XSLT 3.0 specification was published as candidate recommendation on the 19th November 2015.
In particular the main area of new functionality is in the packaging, which allows stylesheet modules to be independently compiled and distributed.

* Schema validation now has improved error reporting. The customised error reporting feature now can produce an XML report detailing all validation errors found.

* Complete implementation of XPath 3.1 and XQuery 3.1. Specifically we have implemented Arrays, Maps and JSON.  In fact, it implements new features in these specs that W3C haven't yet published. Many of the new features including maps and arrays are in the open-source HE product, though for higher-order functions you need to move to the Professional Edition.

* Miscellaneous new functions: two of the most interesting are random-number-generator(), and parse-ietf-date().

* Further improvements on streaming.

* Concurrency improvements tuned for performance.

* Cost-based optimisation. Saxon’s optimizer now makes cost estimates in order to decide the best execution strategy.

More information on the web page: http://www.saxonica.com/products/latest.xml

We have uploaded the new major release of Saxon 9.7.0.1 to the following locations:  at http://www.saxonica.com and http://sourceforge.net/projects/saxon/

Saxon-EE and Saxon-PE products: Saxonica site server, see http://www.saxonica.com/download/download_page.xml
Saxon-HE: Sourceforge (http://saxon.sourceforge.net/) and on Maven.

To receive notifications of new Saxon products, in addition to major and
minor releases please go to the following page and click on 'Watch'
(user registration is required):

https://saxonica.plan.io/projects/saxon/news

kind regards,

-------------------------------
O'Neil Delpratt
Software Developer, Saxonica Limited
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ond1
Tel: +44 118 946 5894
Web: http://www.saxonica.com
Saxonica Community site: http://dev.saxonica.com
Bug tracking site: https://saxonica.plan.io/

Re: Saxon 9.7: Major release of Saxon

Martin Honnen-2
O'Neil Delpratt wrote:

> We are pleased to announce the release of Saxon 9.7. The first major
> release in over a year.
>
> The release last Friday is for the Java platform only;
> Saxon-HE: Sourceforge (http://saxon.sourceforge.net/
> <http://saxon.sourceforge.net/>) and on Maven.

I have tried to find 9.7 HE on Maven
http://maven-repository.com/artifact/net.sf.saxon/Saxon-HE but it is not
there. I am not familiar with details of how releases show up in the
central repository so I am not sure, do you still have to upload 9.7 to
Maven? Or is it just taking some days until it shows up in the central
repository?

Re: Saxon 9.7: Major release of Saxon

O'Neil Delpratt
Hi Martin,

On 2 Dec 2015, at 12:14, Martin Honnen <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have tried to find 9.7 HE on Maven
http://maven-repository.com/artifact/net.sf.saxon/Saxon-HE but it is not
there. I am not familiar with details of how releases show up in the
central repository so I am not sure, do you still have to upload 9.7 to
Maven? Or is it just taking some days until it shows up in the central
repository?

I am not sure how the maven-repository.com works with syncing artifacts, but Saxon-He 9.7 I believe was successfully uploaded on Monday. See:

Also see:

Any problems please let me know.

kind regards

-------------------------------
O'Neil Delpratt
Software Developer, Saxonica Limited
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ond1
Tel: +44 118 946 5894
Web: http://www.saxonica.com
Saxonica Community site: http://dev.saxonica.com
Bug tracking site: https://saxonica.plan.io/

Re: Saxon 9.7: Major release of Saxon

Norman Walsh
O'Neil Delpratt <[hidden email]> writes:
> We are pleased to announce the release of Saxon 9.7. The first major
> release in over a year.

Congratulations!

Is there any kind of summary of the API changes? A quick peek reveals
that XML Calabash fails to build with with thirty eight errors.

Picking a few things randomly,

* What's happened to SourceLocationProvider?
* What's happened to NodeInfo.getTypeAnnotation()?
* What's happened to NodeInfo.getNamePool()?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <[hidden email]> | We dance around in a ring and suppose,
http://nwalsh.com/            | but the Secret sits in the middle and
                              | knows.--Robert Frost

Re: Saxon 9.7: Major release of Saxon

Michael Kay

> On 16 Dec 2015, at 01:22, Norman Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> O'Neil Delpratt <[hidden email]> writes:
>> We are pleased to announce the release of Saxon 9.7. The first major
>> release in over a year.
>
> Congratulations!
>
> Is there any kind of summary of the API changes? A quick peek reveals
> that XML Calabash fails to build with with thirty eight errors.

There's a lot of detail in the change log, but no quick summary.

Start with http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/#!changes/spi/9.6-9.7

> Picking a few things randomly,
>
> * What's happened to SourceLocationProvider?

The Receiver pipeline now passes location objects directly, rather than an integer location id that has to be resolved by reference to a SourceLocationProvider. Expressions on the expression tree also now have a getLocation() method, they no longer implement SourceLocator. Encapsulating location information in a Location object, which has multiple implementations, enables us to provide more fine-grained location information which we hope will lead to IDEs being able to do "cursor positioning" on errors more accurately (in XSLT the location typically now identifies the line/column of a start element tag, plus the attribute name, plus the character offset within the attribute value). But the main trigger here was independent compilation of packages - location IDs were allocated during stylesheet compilation, but were supposed to be globally unique.

Incidentally, if you're using the Location object passed down the Receiver pipeline then you need to be careful, because it could be mutable. Call its saveLocation() method if you need information that persists beyond the current event.

> * What's happened to NodeInfo.getTypeAnnotation()?

Use getSchemaType().getFingerprint(). There's been a gradual trend over several releases to reduce the use of fingerprints to those cases where they really add value, namely for matching element and attribute names in path expressions. Types still have fingerprints but we are using them a lot less. In addition, we've tried to reduce redundancy in interfaces like NodeInfo that have dozens of implementations.

> * What's happened to NodeInfo.getNamePool()?

Use getConfiguration().getNamePool(). For nodes other than FingerprintedNode's, we tried to get rid of the link to a Configuration (and hence NamePool), to allow a DOM tree (for example) to be shared between configurations, but in the end we didn't quite achieve this.

I would think that Calabash is also likely to be affected by the (effective) dropping of DocumentInfo and its replacement by TreeInfo - essentially moving information about a tree-as-a-whole to a place where it can also be used for trees that aren't rooted at a document node. This was triggered mainly by the need to support XSLT 3.0 accumulators on non-document trees.

Michael Kay <[hidden email]> writes:
> There's a lot of detail in the change log, but no quick summary.
>
> Start with http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/#!changes/spi/9.6-9.7

Thank you, Michael. I'll add it to my holiday todo list :-)

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <[hidden email]> | Criminal: A person with predatory
http://nwalsh.com/            | instincts who has not sufficient