Redistributing Saxon HE/Open Source License Compliance

Redistributing Saxon HE/Open Source License Compliance

Lambert Boskamp
Dear all,

I would like to redistribute Saxon-HE-9.7.0-7.jar - unmodified and as
found in Maven - outside of my organization as part of my own
application's binary distribution.

My application is open source under Apache 2.0 and depends on Saxon-HE
at runtime. My application's "binary distribution" is a ZIP file
containing my own JAR file, the JAR files it depends on and documentation.

Regarding the Saxon-HE dependency, I read
<http://saxonica.com/documentation/#!conditions>, section
"Redistribution". This information made clear to me which information to
include in order to acknowledge Saxonica's copyrights. I'm still a
little unclear regarding the copyright notices of category B and C Saxon
source code, as defined at the above URL.

I didn't find these copyright notices in SVN at
<https://dev.saxonica.com/repos/archive/opensource/>, and also not
inside Saxon-HE-9.7.0-7.jar as distributed by Maven. I can only find
them at the Saxonica website:

(Category B)
<http://saxonica.com/documentation/#!conditions/third-party-components>

(Category C) <http://saxonica.com/documentation/#!conditions/redistributed>

My questions are:

1. Which of the category B/C notices are really applicable to Saxon-HE
version 9.7? From what I read at the above URLs, only notices B1 to B5
seem to be relevant. None of the category C notices seem to be
applicable to Saxon-HE-9.7.0-7.jar as found in Maven. Correct?

2. Are there plain text versions of these notices available? As
mentioned above, I didn't find them in SVN.

Thanks for your help,
Lambert

Re: Redistributing Saxon HE/Open Source License Compliance

Michael Kay
1. Maven breaches the license conditions by not including license notices as mandated for some of the third-party components included in Saxon. We resisted distributing via Maven for many years because of this, but eventually gave way under community pressure.

2. If you get the official ZIP file distribution from SourceForge, it includes a NOTICES folder with all the legally-required bumph.