Re: Java 8 XPathFactory & SaxonHE 9.4.0.43

Re: Java 8 XPathFactory & SaxonHE 9.4.0.43

George Francis
Further to this issue:

Up until now, I was also using Saxon 9.1 with Java 7.
Now I have to update to Java 8.
In doing so, it seems I'm forced to update Saxon to 9.6 (because of the error: XPathFactory#newInstance() failed to create an XPathFactory ).

It also seems that this update coincides with Saxon changing it’s licensing model to the HE/PE/EE scheme.

Because my project uses reflexive extension functions (calling Java) feature, it seems I would have to start subscribing to the PE or EE licence.
In other words, there’s no public open-source XSLT 2.0 transformer that supports reflexive extension functions on Java 8.

Before I refactor my project, I wanted to confirm this is all correct?

Re: Java 8 XPathFactory & SaxonHE 9.4.0.43

George Francis
Thanks Michael,
I was getting ready to rebuild Saxon 9.1B, but I have subsequently found that the offending class was not resident in the main jar, but in the auxiliary saxon-xpath.jar
Since my project doesn’t utilise XPath expressions from Java, it seems I was able to simply omit this jar from my class path - all XSLT transformation functionality seems to still work fine (also under Java 8).
Hopefully this information can help others.