Problems with XSLT SQL extension in EE9.7.0.6; config-file on the Website broken

Problems with XSLT SQL extension in EE9.7.0.6; config-file on the Website broken

Wolfgang May
Dear all,

I recently downloaded saxonEE with a demo license to use it in a lecture.
The version is Saxon-EE 9.7.0.6J on linux.

I tried to use the XSLT SQL extension, but did not get it to work (I used
the
example from
<http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index.html#!sql-extension/instructions/example>
and the config file from

<http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index.html#!configuration/configuration-file>)

There seem to be some problems with the config file on the Web site:

Warning on line 32 column 54 of saxon.cfg:
  Invalid configuration property extensionElement. Supplied value
  'net.sf.saxon.option.sql.SQLElementFactory', required value is the name
  of a class that implements 'com.saxonica.xsltextn.ExtensionElementFactory':
  Failed to load net.sf.saxon.option.sql.SQLElementFactory
Warning on line 38 column 48 of saxon.cfg:
  Invalid configuration property index/@pattern. Supplied value '*[contains(@att,$s]'.
  expected ")", found "]"
Warning on line 41 column 14 of saxon.cfg:
  Invalid configuration property preCon/@pattern. Supplied value '*[contains(@att,$s]'.
  expected ")", found "]"
Warning on line 59 column 82 of saxon.cfg:
  Invalid configuration property externalObjectModel. Supplied value
  'net.sf.saxon.option.xom.XOMObjectModel', required value is the name of
  a class that implements 'net.sf.saxon.lib.ExternalObjectModel': Failed to load
  instance of class net.sf.saxon.option.xom.XOMObjectModel: nu/xom/Node
Warning on line 60 column 87 of saxon.cfg:
  Invalid configuration property extensionFunction. Supplied value
  's9apitest.TestIntegrationFunctions$SqrtFunction', required value is the
  name of a class that implements 'net.sf.saxon.lib.ExtensionFunctionDefinition':
  Failed to load
  s9apitest.TestIntegrationFunctions$SqrtFunction

I could obviously remove the syntax problems, but still, the first (and
3rd and 4th) warnings remain, and it does not find/enable SQL
(saxon9-sql.jar is in the classpath).

By the way, without the config file, the example just returns a
warning "sql:connect is not available". I propose to add there some
hint "... it must be enabled in the config file".

Mit freundlichen Gruessen/Best regards,
Wolfgang May

--
Prof. Dr. Wolfgang May      E-mail: [hidden email]
Universitaet Goettingen     http://user.informatik.uni-goettingen.de/~may

Re: Problems with XSLT SQL extension in EE9.7.0.6; config-file on the Website broken

debbie
Thanks for reporting your issue, we are currently investigating it.

Apologies for the delayed response.

Debbie Lockett

Saxonica

On 05/07/2016 13:19, Wolfgang May wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I recently downloaded saxonEE with a demo license to use it in a lecture.
> The version is Saxon-EE 9.7.0.6J on linux.
>
> I tried to use the XSLT SQL extension, but did not get it to work (I used
> the
> example from
> <http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index.html#!sql-extension/instructions/example>
> and the config file from
>
> <http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index.html#!configuration/configuration-file>)
>
> There seem to be some problems with the config file on the Web site:
>
> Warning on line 32 column 54 of saxon.cfg:
>    Invalid configuration property extensionElement. Supplied value
>    'net.sf.saxon.option.sql.SQLElementFactory', required value is the name
>    of a class that implements 'com.saxonica.xsltextn.ExtensionElementFactory':
>    Failed to load net.sf.saxon.option.sql.SQLElementFactory
> Warning on line 38 column 48 of saxon.cfg:
>    Invalid configuration property index/@pattern. Supplied value '*[contains(@att,$s]'.
>    expected ")", found "]"
> Warning on line 41 column 14 of saxon.cfg:
>    Invalid configuration property preCon/@pattern. Supplied value '*[contains(@att,$s]'.
>    expected ")", found "]"
> Warning on line 59 column 82 of saxon.cfg:
>    Invalid configuration property externalObjectModel. Supplied value
>    'net.sf.saxon.option.xom.XOMObjectModel', required value is the name of
>    a class that implements 'net.sf.saxon.lib.ExternalObjectModel': Failed to load
>    instance of class net.sf.saxon.option.xom.XOMObjectModel: nu/xom/Node
> Warning on line 60 column 87 of saxon.cfg:
>    Invalid configuration property extensionFunction. Supplied value
>    's9apitest.TestIntegrationFunctions$SqrtFunction', required value is the
>    name of a class that implements 'net.sf.saxon.lib.ExtensionFunctionDefinition':
>    Failed to load
>    s9apitest.TestIntegrationFunctions$SqrtFunction
>

> I could obviously remove the syntax problems, but still, the first (and
> 3rd and 4th) warnings remain, and it does not find/enable SQL
> (saxon9-sql.jar is in the classpath).
>

> By the way, without the config file, the example just returns a
> warning "sql:connect is not available". I propose to add there some
> hint "... it must be enabled in the config file".
>
> Mit freundlichen Gruessen/Best regards,
> Wolfgang May
>
> --
> Prof. Dr. Wolfgang May      E-mail: [hidden email]
> Universitaet Goettingen     http://user.informatik.uni-goettingen.de/~may
> Institut fuer Informatik
> Goldschmidtstrasse 7        D-37077 Goettingen / Germany
> Tel ++49 (0)551 39-17-2021  Fax ++49 (0)551 39-14415

Debbie Lockett

Re: Problems with XSLT SQL extension in EE9.7.0.6; config-file on the Website broken

debbie
To run the SQL example stylesheet, it is better to use the config file
at the bottom of the SQL example page

<http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index.html#!sql-extension/instructions/example>

i.e.
<configuration xmlns="http://saxon.sf.net/ns/configuration"
                edition="EE">
   <xslt>
     <extensionElement namespace="http://saxon.sf.net/sql"
factory="net.sf.saxon.option.sql.SQLElementFactory"/>
   </xslt>
</configuration>

since the only necessary configuration to run the SQL example is to
allow SQL extensions. The example config file at

<http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index.html#!configuration/configuration-file>

(and the config file supplied in the samples download) contain many more
options merely as a *demonstration* of their use, and may cause
problems, as described on that page: "Here is an example configuration
file. It is designed to show as many options as possible; in practice,
no option needs to be included if it is to take its default value, and
it is probably good practice to only include those parameters that you
need to specify explicitly. Some of the example values used in this
sample will not work unless you have files with the relevant names at
particular locations, or unless you have classes with particular names
available on your classpath; if such entries cause problems, you can
always delete them."

The 4th & 5th warnings you got are due to this. (As are the 2nd and 3rd,
thanks for pointing out the typos.)

The 1st warning actually seems to be due to saxon9-sql.jar not being
found. You said that you included it in the classpath, but it doesn't
look like this has worked. The command should look something like:

java -cp
.:saxon9ee.jar:saxon9-sql.jar:mysql-connector-java-5.1.18-bin.jar
net.sf.saxon.Transform -s:/path/books.xml -xsl:/path/books-mysql.xsl
-config:/path/config.xml

I hope this helps.

Debbie Lockett
Saxonica

On 12/07/2016 10:44, Debbie wrote:

> Thanks for reporting your issue, we are currently investigating it.
>
> Apologies for the delayed response.
>
> Debbie Lockett
>
> Saxonica
>

> On 05/07/2016 13:19, Wolfgang May wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I recently downloaded saxonEE with a demo license to use it in a lecture.
>> The version is Saxon-EE 9.7.0.6J on linux.
>>
>> I tried to use the XSLT SQL extension, but did not get it to work (I used
>> the
>> example from
>> <http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index.html#!sql-extension/instructions/example>
>> and the config file from
>>
>> <http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/index.html#!configuration/configuration-file>)
>>
>> There seem to be some problems with the config file on the Web site:
>>
>> Warning on line 32 column 54 of saxon.cfg:
>>     Invalid configuration property extensionElement. Supplied value
>>     'net.sf.saxon.option.sql.SQLElementFactory', required value is the name
>>     of a class that implements 'com.saxonica.xsltextn.ExtensionElementFactory':
>>     Failed to load net.sf.saxon.option.sql.SQLElementFactory
>> Warning on line 38 column 48 of saxon.cfg:
>>     Invalid configuration property index/@pattern. Supplied value '*[contains(@att,$s]'.
>>     expected ")", found "]"
>> Warning on line 41 column 14 of saxon.cfg:
>>     Invalid configuration property preCon/@pattern. Supplied value '*[contains(@att,$s]'.
>>     expected ")", found "]"
>> Warning on line 59 column 82 of saxon.cfg:
>>     Invalid configuration property externalObjectModel. Supplied value
>>     'net.sf.saxon.option.xom.XOMObjectModel', required value is the name of
>>     a class that implements 'net.sf.saxon.lib.ExternalObjectModel': Failed to load
>>     instance of class net.sf.saxon.option.xom.XOMObjectModel: nu/xom/Node
>> Warning on line 60 column 87 of saxon.cfg:
>>     Invalid configuration property extensionFunction. Supplied value
>>     's9apitest.TestIntegrationFunctions$SqrtFunction', required value is the
>>     name of a class that implements 'net.sf.saxon.lib.ExtensionFunctionDefinition':
>>     Failed to load
>>     s9apitest.TestIntegrationFunctions$SqrtFunction
>>

>> I could obviously remove the syntax problems, but still, the first (and
>> 3rd and 4th) warnings remain, and it does not find/enable SQL
>> (saxon9-sql.jar is in the classpath).
>>

>> By the way, without the config file, the example just returns a
>> warning "sql:connect is not available". I propose to add there some
>> hint "... it must be enabled in the config file".
>>
>> Mit freundlichen Gruessen/Best regards,
>> Wolfgang May
>>
>> --
>> Prof. Dr. Wolfgang May      E-mail: [hidden email]
>> Universitaet Goettingen     http://user.informatik.uni-goettingen.de/~may
>> Institut fuer Informatik
>> Goldschmidtstrasse 7        D-37077 Goettingen / Germany
>> Tel ++49 (0)551 39-17-2021  Fax ++49 (0)551 39-14415

Debbie Lockett

some suggestions - Re: Problems with XSLT SQL extension in EE9.7.0.6; config-file on the Website broken

Wolfgang May

Dear all, dear Debbie,

THX. After downloading everything from scratch in a separate directory,
and carefully copying one after the other and trying, it works now.

I have some suggestions:

* more instructive error messages:
  * Currently, if saxon-sql.jar is missing, the error message is as follows:

      Warning: on line 4 column 54 of config.xml:
       Invalid configuration property extensionElement. Supplied value
       'net.sf.saxon.option.sql.SQLElementFactory', required value is the name of a class that
       implements 'com.saxonica.xsltextn.ExtensionElementFactory': Failed to load
       net.sf.saxon.option.sql.SQLElementFactory
       Invalid configuration property extensionElement. Supplied value 'net.sf.saxon.option.sql.SQLElementFactory',
       required value is the name of a class that implements 'com.saxonica.xsltextn.ExtensionElementFactory'

    => explicit message that saxon-sql.jar is missing

  * When the license file was missing, the error message/output for the "books" example was

   may@login:~/teaching/ssd/XSLT$ java -cp saxon9ee.jar:saxon9-sql.jar:ojdbc7.jar net.sf.saxon.Transform -config:config.xml -s:books.xml -xsl:example.xsl
    Warning on line 42 column 61 of example.xsl:
      SXWN9008: saxon:assign is not recognized as a Saxon instruction
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

    => message that the license file is not found (I remember that in some other
       attempt, I got such an explicit message)

* the minimal config.xml is on the example page, but only on the bottom of the page under
  "Running the example using MySQL" (so users of other DBs will probably not read it).
  => put it on top of the page - as far as I understand, it is needed in  all cases.

* a most simple example just to get things running (the books one requires to create a database
    table before, and needs books.xml):
  Just a simple query, where the user only has to put some tablename that exists in his/her
  database (even in an empty DB there is something that can be SELECTed, e.g. DUAL, or USERS
  for oracle):

  * make it explicit that it must be select="'USERNAME'", and not select="USERNAME"
  * example stylesheet below.
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="2.0"
  xmlns:sql="http://saxon.sf.net/sql"
  extension-element-prefixes="sql">

<xsl:param name="driver" select="'oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver'"/>
<xsl:param name="database" select="'jdbc:oracle:thin:@IPADDRESS:1521/USER'"/>
<xsl:param name="user" select="'USER'"/>
<xsl:param name="password" select="'PASSWD'"/>

<xsl:variable name="connection" as="java:java.sql.Connection"
      xmlns:java="http://saxon.sf.net/java-type">
  <sql:connect driver="{$driver}" database="{$database}"
               user="{$user}" password="{$password}">
    <xsl:fallback>
      <xsl:message terminate="yes">SQL extensions not installed</xsl:message>
    </xsl:fallback>
  </sql:connect>
</xsl:variable>

<xsl:template match="*">
 <sql:query connection="$connection" table="PUT SOME TABLENAME HERE" column="*"/>
 <sql:close connection="$connection"/>

Best,
Wolfgang

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016, Debbie wrote:

> [...]
> >>     Failed to load
> >>     s9apitest.TestIntegrationFunctions$SqrtFunction
> >>

> >> I could obviously remove the syntax problems, but still, the first (and
> >> 3rd and 4th) warnings remain, and it does not find/enable SQL
> >> (saxon9-sql.jar is in the classpath).
> >>

> >> By the way, without the config file, the example just returns a
> >> warning "sql:connect is not available". I propose to add there some
> >> hint "... it must be enabled in the config file".
> >>
> >> Mit freundlichen Gruessen/Best regards,
> >> Wolfgang May
> >>
> >> --
> >> Prof. Dr. Wolfgang May      E-mail: [hidden email]
> >> Universitaet Goettingen     http://user.informatik.uni-goettingen.de/~may
> >> Institut fuer Informatik
> >> Goldschmidtstrasse 7        D-37077 Goettingen / Germany
> >> Tel ++49 (0)551 39-17-2021  Fax ++49 (0)551 39-14415

Re: some suggestions - Re: Problems with XSLT SQL extension in EE9.7.0.6; config-file on the Website broken

Michael Kay
Thanks for the suggestions. We're always looking for feedback when error messages could be improved. Sometimes there's not enough information available at the time to make it feasible, or the same internal condition could be due to a wide variety of causes at the user level. (That's often the case with license file issues.) But sometimes it's relatively straightforward, e.g. when we get "cannot load class" internally, it should be quite possible to check against some well-known class names and tell people which JAR file is missing.

I've added some tweaks to the diagnostics in the areas suggested. We'll look at the documentation suggestions. (But I think that very often with documentation, the problem is that there is too much rather than too little.)