No error when a 'document()' is not well-formed

No error when a 'document()' is not well-formed

Florent Georges
  Hi

  I just discovered what sounds like a bug.  After a modification, an
XML document was ill-formed (I changed the name of a start tag, and
forgot to change the end tag :-o).  This XML document is used in an
XSLT stylesheet via 'document()'.

  Actually, all the editing process seems to be ok.  diagnostics are as
usual.  No error.  No warning.  But indeed the result was completely
wrong.

  Bug or feature (to not warn on ill-formed document)?

  I use Saxon-SA 8.6 (still an evaluation copy).

  Regards,

--drkm

RE: No error when a 'document()' is not well-formed

Michael Kay
Perhaps you didn't save the file after editing.

It's the XML parser's job to detect this error, not Saxon's, but every known
parser will report it.

Michael Kay wrote:

> Perhaps you didn't save the file after editing.

  No.  I discovered this by its effects on the output (like if
document() returned always an empty sequence).

  But I didn't have time to explore deeper, just to send quickly an
email to signal what I thought as a bug.

> It's the XML parser's job to detect this error, not
> Saxon's, but every known parser will report it.

  Yes, I think so.  I was really surprised when I found my mistake,
while no warning was emitted.

  Thanks for responding,

--drkm