Namespace prefixes added on attribute created in XSLT

Namespace prefixes added on attribute created in XSLT

Matthieu RICAUD-DUSSARGET-2
Hi,

when I write this :
<xsl:attribute name="{$var}Foo" select="'bar'">
Saxon (9.7) create an prefixed attribute (bind on the default namespace, in my case html) :

html:varValueFoo="bar"

When I write the equivalent (?) :
<xsl:attribute name="{concat($var, 'Foo')" select="'bar'">
Then I get the attribute without prefixes :

varValueFoo="bar"

This was not the case using saxon 9.5. Is saxon 9.7 correct (and I misunderstood something) or does it looks like a bug ?

(I could try to make a simple XSLT to illustrate this if necessary)

By the way this is my whole stylesheet root :
<xsl:stylesheet
        xmlns:xd="http://www.oxygenxml.com/ns/doc/xsl"
        xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
        xmlns:saxon="http://saxon.sf.net/"
        xmlns:rng="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0"
        xmlns:els="http://www.lefebvre-sarrut.eu/ns/els"
        xmlns:xf="http://www.lefebvre-sarrut.eu/ns/xmlfirst"
        xmlns:xfe="http://www.lefebvre-sarrut.eu/ns/xmlfirst/xmlEditor"
        xmlns:xslLib="http://www.lefebvre-sarrut.eu/ns/els/xslLib"
        xmlns:cals="-//OASIS//DTD XML Exchange Table Model 19990315//EN"
        xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
        xmlns:map="http://www.w3.org/2005/xpath-functions/map"
        exclude-result-prefixes="#all"
        version="3.0">
The prefix html is actually binded on the default namespace.

Cheers

Matthieu Ricaud-Dussarget
Expert XML
SI EDITORIAL
[hidden email]
Tél : 01 40 92 21 98
80 Avenue de la Marne - 92120 Montrouge

Re: Namespace prefixes added on attribute created in XSLT

Michael Kay
This looks very strange an my suspicion would be that the clue to the mystery lies somewhere in the code that you haven't told us about. So: repro, please!

> On 8 Dec 2016, at 19:49, Matthieu RICAUD-DUSSARGET <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> when I write this :
> <xsl:attribute name="{$var}Foo" select="'bar'">
> Saxon (9.7) create an prefixed attribute (bind on the default namespace, in my case html) :
>
> html:varValueFoo="bar"
>
> When I write the equivalent (?) :
> <xsl:attribute name="{concat($var, 'Foo')" select="'bar'">
> Then I get the attribute without prefixes :
>
> varValueFoo="bar"
>
> This was not the case using saxon 9.5. Is saxon 9.7 correct (and I misunderstood something) or does it looks like a bug ?
>
> (I could try to make a simple XSLT to illustrate this if necessary)
>
> By the way this is my whole stylesheet root :
> <xsl:stylesheet
> xmlns:xd="http://www.oxygenxml.com/ns/doc/xsl"
> xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
> xmlns:saxon="http://saxon.sf.net/"
> xmlns:rng="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0"
> xmlns:els="http://www.lefebvre-sarrut.eu/ns/els"
> xmlns:xf="http://www.lefebvre-sarrut.eu/ns/xmlfirst"
> xmlns:xfe="http://www.lefebvre-sarrut.eu/ns/xmlfirst/xmlEditor"
> xmlns:xslLib="http://www.lefebvre-sarrut.eu/ns/els/xslLib"
> xmlns:cals="-//OASIS//DTD XML Exchange Table Model 19990315//EN"
> xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
> xmlns:map="http://www.w3.org/2005/xpath-functions/map"
> exclude-result-prefixes="#all"
> version="3.0">
> The prefix html is actually binded on the default namespace.
>
> Cheers
>

> Matthieu Ricaud-Dussarget
> Expert XML
> SI EDITORIAL
> [hidden email]
> Tél : 01 40 92 21 98
> 80 Avenue de la Marne - 92120 Montrouge

Re: Namespace prefixes added on attribute created in XSLT

Matthieu RICAUD-DUSSARGET-2
English is quite a beautiful language! I wish I could write it so well as you one day :)

So, this is the test case :

XML SOURCE :
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<root/>

XSLT :
<xsl:stylesheet
  xmlns:d="default"
  xmlns="default"
  exclude-result-prefixes="#all"
  version="2.0">

  <xsl:output omit-xml-declaration="yes"/>

  <xsl:variable name="var" select="'myVar'" as="xs:string"/>

  <xsl:template match="root">
    <xsl:copy>
      <xsl:attribute name="{$var}Foo1" select="'bar'"/>
      <xsl:attribute name="{concat($var, 'Foo2')}" select="'bar'"/>
    </xsl:copy>

XML OUTPUT :
1) with saxonee-9.5.1.5
<root myVarFoo1="bar" myVarFoo2="bar"/>

2) with saxonee-9.7.0.13
<root xmlns:ns0="default" ns0:myVarFoo1="bar" myVarFoo2="bar"/>

Those output doesn't depends on the XSLT version (2.0 or 3.0)

It seems Saxon 9.7 absolutely wants to create an namespace prefix on attributes created with the first method.

In my real code, the "d" prefix is used instead of "ns0", this should have something to do with my namespace declaration and creation of new element instead of an <xsl:copy>. But anyway, the test here is enough strange to illustrate the problem I guess.

Thanks for your investigating

Cheers
Matthieu

This looks very strange an my suspicion would be that the clue to the mystery lies somewhere in the code that you haven't told us about. So: repro, please!

> On 8 Dec 2016, at 19:49, Matthieu RICAUD-DUSSARGET <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> when I write this :
> <xsl:attribute name="{$var}Foo" select="'bar'"> Saxon (9.7) create an
> prefixed attribute (bind on the default namespace, in my case html) :
>
> html:varValueFoo="bar"
>
> When I write the equivalent (?) :
> <xsl:attribute name="{concat($var, 'Foo')" select="'bar'"> Then I get
> the attribute without prefixes :
>
> varValueFoo="bar"
>
> This was not the case using saxon 9.5. Is saxon 9.7 correct (and I misunderstood something) or does it looks like a bug ?
>
> (I could try to make a simple XSLT to illustrate this if necessary)
>
> By the way this is my whole stylesheet root :
> <xsl:stylesheet
> xmlns:xd="http://www.oxygenxml.com/ns/doc/xsl"
> xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
> xmlns:saxon="http://saxon.sf.net/"
> xmlns:rng="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0"
> xmlns:els="http://www.lefebvre-sarrut.eu/ns/els"
> xmlns:xf="http://www.lefebvre-sarrut.eu/ns/xmlfirst"
> xmlns:xfe="http://www.lefebvre-sarrut.eu/ns/xmlfirst/xmlEditor"
> xmlns:xslLib="http://www.lefebvre-sarrut.eu/ns/els/xslLib"
> xmlns:cals="-//OASIS//DTD XML Exchange Table Model 19990315//EN"
> xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
> xmlns:map="http://www.w3.org/2005/xpath-functions/map"
> exclude-result-prefixes="#all"
> version="3.0">
> The prefix html is actually binded on the default namespace.
>
> Cheers
>

> Matthieu Ricaud-Dussarget
> Expert XML
> SI EDITORIAL
> [hidden email]
> Tél : 01 40 92 21 98
> 80 Avenue de la Marne - 92120 Montrouge

Re: Namespace prefixes added on attribute created in XSLT

Michael Kay
Thanks for reporting it. I've logged an issue here:

https://saxonica.plan.io/issues/3064

and the fix is going to be very simple.

> On 9 Dec 2016, at 15:40, Matthieu RICAUD-DUSSARGET <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> English is quite a beautiful language! I wish I could write it so well as you one day :)
>
> So, this is the test case :
>
> XML SOURCE :
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <root/>
>
> XSLT :
> <xsl:stylesheet
>  xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
>  xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
>  xmlns:d="default"
>  xmlns="default"
>  exclude-result-prefixes="#all"
>  version="2.0">
>
>  <xsl:output omit-xml-declaration="yes"/>
>
>  <xsl:variable name="var" select="'myVar'" as="xs:string"/>
>
>  <xsl:template match="root">
>    <xsl:copy>
>      <xsl:attribute name="{$var}Foo1" select="'bar'"/>
>      <xsl:attribute name="{concat($var, 'Foo2')}" select="'bar'"/>
>    </xsl:copy>
>  </xsl:template>
>
> </xsl:stylesheet>
>
> XML OUTPUT :
> 1) with saxonee-9.5.1.5
> <root myVarFoo1="bar" myVarFoo2="bar"/>
>
> 2) with saxonee-9.7.0.13
> <root xmlns:ns0="default" ns0:myVarFoo1="bar" myVarFoo2="bar"/>
>
> Those output doesn't depends on the XSLT version (2.0 or 3.0)
>
> It seems Saxon 9.7 absolutely wants to create an namespace prefix on attributes created with the first method.
>
> In my real code, the "d" prefix is used instead of "ns0", this should have something to do with my namespace declaration and creation of new element instead of an <xsl:copy>. But anyway, the test here is enough strange to illustrate the problem I guess.
>
> Thanks for your investigating
>
> Cheers
> Matthieu

Great ! I will follow the resolution.