Quantcast

Memory use

Ruprecht von Waldenfels
Hi,
one question I have been asking myself over the years and never sort of
found an answer to is: to what extent does the actual XML-file length,
rather than its complexity, matter for memory usage? In other words - if
the names of the elements are long, rather than short, in ASCII
characters - will this have any impact on memory usage?

Best,
Ruprecht

Re: Memory use

Michael Kay
Saxon puts all names in a name pool so each distinct name is only held once. Therefore the length of names has very little effect on the file size. For an untyped TinyTree, reckon 20 bytes per node, including unstripped whitespace text nodes, plus 2 bytes per character in non-whitespace text and attribute nodes.

> On 21 Apr 2016, at 23:32, Ruprecht von Waldenfels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> one question I have been asking myself over the years and never sort of
> found an answer to is: to what extent does the actual XML-file length,
> rather than its complexity, matter for memory usage? In other words - if
> the names of the elements are long, rather than short, in ASCII
> characters - will this have any impact on memory usage?
>
> Best,
> Ruprecht

Re: Memory use

Ruprecht von Waldenfels
Thank you - I was expecting that, of course, but I am glad to get the
clarification. So smaller names will only make a difference in respect
to disk space - which we are now saving by compressing everything, which
of course is more effective.
Thanks and best!
Ruprecht