Java way to produce a .sef

cmarchand
Hello,

I'm working on a xslCompiler maven plugin, to distribute compiled XSL
instead of source files.

What is the API way to produce a .sef file ?
XsltExecutable.export(OutputStream) ?

Is the extension (.sef) important, or may I still use .xsl extension for
compiled files ?

What does a .sef represent ? Does a .sef need other files (the
xsl:import/@href xsl:include/@href) to run or is the sef a packaged
representation of the whole ?

Best regards,
Christophe

Re: Java way to produce a .sef

Michael Kay
Either XsltExecutable.export(stream) or XsltPackage.save(file) will do the job. Not sure why we have both.

In both cases the export file contains not just the top-level package, but all the referenced packages expanded recursively. At some stage I would like to provide an export of a single package, with the linking being done at import time, but it's a bit trickier to achieve than I thought.

You can use any file extension.

Note also that any Saxon API that accepts a source stylesheet should also accept a SEF file: it's auto-recognized which is supplied. We did it this way so that SEF files can be used with tools like Ant that weren't designed to handle them.

> On 5 May 2017, at 08:28, Christophe Marchand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>

> I'm working on a xslCompiler maven plugin, to distribute compiled XSL
> instead of source files.
>
> What is the API way to produce a .sef file ?
> XsltExecutable.export(OutputStream) ?
>
> Is the extension (.sef) important, or may I still use .xsl extension for
> compiled files ?
>
> What does a .sef represent ? Does a .sef need other files (the
> xsl:import/@href xsl:include/@href) to run or is the sef a packaged
> representation of the whole ?
>
> Best regards,
> Christophe