Installing Saxon/C on openSUSE 13.1 64-bit

12

Installing Saxon/C on openSUSE 13.1 64-bit

Christian Schwaderer
Dear all,

thanks again for having advised me to give Saxon/C a try.

But I'm failing to install it.

I have an openSUSE 13.1 64-bit system (I can't use another distribution) and I'm absolutely new to Linux. Following the steps described on http://www.saxonica.com/html/saxon-c/index.html#installingLin seemed not too complicated, but I didn't succede.

So, I've downloaded the file libsaxon-HEC-setup64-v0.2.zip and unzipped it.

Now I've started the bash Console, navigated to the folder libsaxon-HEC-setup64-v0.2 and typed in './libsaxon-HEC-setup'.

Then it says 'File or directory not found.'

Going back to the root directory and typing in the command again had the same effect.

What now?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Christian

Re: Installing Saxon/C on openSUSE 13.1 64-bit

Ruprecht von Waldenfels
I think you have to copy INTO Saxon-C-API, then type in './libsaxon-HEC-setup' and the rest as in the instructions.

I think you have to copy the Saxon-C-API AND rt directory to /usr/lib on Ubuntu, but on Suse, I don't know.

Am 05.06.2014 18:05, schrieb Christian Schwaderer:
Dear all,

thanks again for having advised me to give Saxon/C a try.

But I'm failing to install it.

I have an openSUSE 13.1 64-bit system (I can't use another distribution) and I'm absolutely new to Linux. Following the steps described on http://www.saxonica.com/html/saxon-c/index.html#installingLin seemed not too complicated, but I didn't succede.

So, I've downloaded the file libsaxon-HEC-setup64-v0.2.zip and unzipped it.

Now I've started the bash Console, navigated to the folder libsaxon-HEC-setup64-v0.2 and typed in './libsaxon-HEC-setup'.

Then it says 'File or directory not found.'

Going back to the root directory and typing in the command again had the same effect.

What now?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Christian

http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech

Re: Installing Saxon/C on openSUSE 13.1 64-bit

O'Neil Delpratt
You will need to make the file executable by using chmod from the command line or using the GUI.

On the command line I think it is something like the following:

chmod +x libsaxon-HEC-setup

kind regards,

O’Neil

On 5 Jun 2014, at 17:05, Christian Schwaderer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear all,

thanks again for having advised me to give Saxon/C a try.

But I'm failing to install it.

I have an openSUSE 13.1 64-bit system (I can't use another distribution) and I'm absolutely new to Linux. Following the steps described on http://www.saxonica.com/html/saxon-c/index.html#installingLin seemed not too complicated, but I didn't succede.

So, I've downloaded the file libsaxon-HEC-setup64-v0.2.zip and unzipped it.

Now I've started the bash Console, navigated to the folder libsaxon-HEC-setup64-v0.2 and typed in './libsaxon-HEC-setup'.

Then it says 'File or directory not found.'

Going back to the root directory and typing in the command again had the same effect.

What now?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Christian

-------------------------------
O'Neil Delpratt
Software Developer, Saxonica Limited Email: [hidden email]
Tel: +44 118 946 5894
Web: http://www.saxonica.com
Saxonica Community site: http://dev.saxonica.com
Bug tracking site: https://saxonica.plan.io/

Re: Installing Saxon/C on openSUSE 13.1 64-bit

Christian Schwaderer
Thank you both for your help!

Unfortunately, it still doesn't work.

Ok, again step by step:

After unzipping the file libsaxon-HEC-setup64-v0.2 there is a folder named libsaxon-HEC-setup64-v0.2.
This folder contains four items:
- folder "rt"
- folder "samples"
- folder "Saxon-C-API"
- file "libsaxon.so"

There is nowhere a file called "libsaxon-HEC-setup".
I think that's why the command
"chmod +x libsaxon-HEC-setup" couldn't work, as far as I unterstand it.

I copied the folder rt and SAXON-C-API to /usr/lib as you suggested, Ruprecht, but to no avail.

I think, Saxon is such a great software, I enjoyed working with it in Windows and Oxygen and I would really really like testing and using it on Linux in an Apache/PHP enviroment, but that doesn't seem so easy...

So, I hope you could help me!

Best regards,
Christian

From: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 17:57:52 +0100
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [saxon] Installing Saxon/C on openSUSE 13.1 64-bit

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book "Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and their applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the field, this first edition is now available. Download your free book today! http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech

From: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 17:57:52 +0100
To: [hidden email]

[...]

Tel: <a href="tel:%2B44%20118%20946%205894" value="+441189465894" target="_blank">+44 118 946 5894
Web: http://www.saxonica.com
Saxonica Community site: http://dev.saxonica.com
Bug tracking site: https://saxonica.plan.io/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Learn Graph Databases - Download FREE O'Reilly Book "Graph Databases" is the definitive new guide to graph databases and their applications. Written by three acclaimed leaders in the field, this first edition is now available. Download your free book today! http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech

Re: Installing Saxon/C on openSUSE 13.1 64-bit

Christian Schwaderer
Thank you so much for your patience with me, Oneil!

I think, I'm now a step further, but still not done. Sorry.

So, I went to usr/lib and typed in
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/rt/amd64:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Nothing happened. I hope, that one worked.

Next I went to the folder usr/lib/Saxon-C-API/ and ran
sudo phpize
That one seemed to work. A lot of text, but no errors.
Same with
sudo ./configure --enable-saxon
But at
sudo make
there is an error:
"jni.h: No such file or directory"

I'm quite sure this has something t do do with wrong paths or missing packages, but I don't know what to do to fix it.

So, I hope, you can help me once again

Best regards,
Christian

The whole error message is:

"/bin/sh /usr/lib/Saxon-C-API/libtool --mode=compile g++  -I. -I/usr/lib/Saxon-C-API -DPHP_ATOM_INC -I/usr/lib/Saxon-C-API/include -I/usr/lib/Saxon-C-API/main -I/usr/lib/Saxon-C-API -I/usr/include/php5 -I/usr/include/php5/main -I/usr/include/php5/TSRM -I/usr/include/php5/Zend -I/usr/include/php5/ext -I/usr/include/php5/ext/date/lib  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -g -O2   -c /usr/lib/Saxon-C-API/SaxonProcessor.cpp -o SaxonProcessor.lo
libtool: compile:  g++ -I. -I/usr/lib/Saxon-C-API -DPHP_ATOM_INC -I/usr/lib/Saxon-C-API/include -I/usr/lib/Saxon-C-API/main -I/usr/lib/Saxon-C-API -I/usr/include/php5 -I/usr/include/php5/main -I/usr/include/php5/TSRM -I/usr/include/php5/Zend -I/usr/include/php5/ext -I/usr/include/php5/ext/date/lib -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -c /usr/lib/Saxon-C-API/SaxonProcessor.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/SaxonProcessor.o
In file included from /usr/lib/Saxon-C-API/SaxonProcessor.cpp:8:0:
/usr/lib/Saxon-C-API/SaxonProcessor.h:3:17: fatal error: jni.h: No such file or directory
 #include <jni.h>
                 ^
compilation terminated."

Re: Installing Saxon/C on openSUSE 13.1 64-bit

Ruprecht von Waldenfels
I had that one. Try installing
gcj-jdk

sudo apt-get install gcj-jdk

Best, R
Am 05.06.2014 22:35, schrieb Christian Schwaderer:
[...]

Thank you, Ruprecht!

Again, a step further.

I was able to make and make install PHP, I added the line in php.ini

But now I have to following warning in the PHP log:
"PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib64/php5/extensions/saxon.so' - libsaxon.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0"

The file libsaxon.so is in /usr/lib/ but I think the problem here is the word "Unkown".

I set the paths as Ruprecht suggested on June 1st also as with the command
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/rt/lib/amd64:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
again being in the folder /usr/lib (That correct?)

I promise: When (or if?) I finally manage to make Saxon/C run on my Virtual Machine with your help I will write a short documentation on how I did it in order to make it maybe a little bit easier for others

Re: Installing Saxon/C on openSUSE 13.1 64-bit

Ruprecht von Waldenfels
I think you have to link the jvm,too, as in

ln -s SOMEWHERE/libjvm.so /usr/lib/libjvm.so

#create symlink to java virtual machine, it is not required to install/compile, but it's requirement to use it from PHP code.
if [ -d /lib ]; then
  ln -s  $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/amd64/server/libjvm.so /lib/libjvm.so
fi

if [ -d /lib64 ]; then
  ln -s  $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/amd64/server/libjvm.so /lib64/libjvm.so
fi

Hope this helps

Am 06.06.2014 08:08, schrieb Christian Schwaderer:
[...]

Hi,

As Ruprecht suggested it should be all you need. By the way, a user supplied me with a script to setup and build Saxon/C along with the PHP extension. See the attached the file.

install.sh (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Installing Saxon/C on openSUSE 13.1 64-bit

Christian Schwaderer
Hi there.

Sorry, it's me again. Thank you both for your kind help. But: Still no success.

My $JAVA_HOME is /usr/lib64/jvm/java.

But there are several files named
"libjvm.so" on my computer.

One in the folder
"/usr/lib64/jvm/java-1.7.0-openjdk-1.7.0/jre/lib/amd64/server/"
about 14 MB large

And one in the folder
"/usr/lib/rt/lib/amd64/jetvm/" about 22,8KB in size.

I tried both. And in order to make sure I have the right directory I set the links in lib, lib64 and /usr/lib.

But it didn't work.

So, I tried to build the extension again:

phpize
./configure --enable-saxon
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/rt/lib/amd64:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
make
make install

Still the same: on each re-boot:
"PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib64/php5/extensions/saxon.so' - libsaxon.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0"

Maybe the problem is in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

There is a folder named "/usr/lib/rt/lib/amd64" on my machine.
But in the script of Petr Zak you send me, Oneil, the corresponding line is
"export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/rt/lib/amd64:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/include/linux:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/include:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
On my machine there is nowhere a directory called "java-6-openjdk-amd64".

Hope you know what to try next. I don't

Thanks in advance!

Christian.

Re: Installing Saxon/C on openSUSE 13.1 64-bit

Ruprecht von Waldenfels
You have to link the 14 mb one, I think, to /usr/lib.
Don't forget to restart apache.

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/rt/lib/amd64:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/include/linux:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/include:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

ah: you have to add the LD_LIBRARY_PATH code to the .bashrc
and I think

For ubuntu server, in /etc/apache2/envvars, for centos server, in /etc/sysconfig/httpd, add:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/rt/lib/i386/jetvm

and restart apache

Am 06.06.2014 12:25, schrieb Christian Schwaderer:
[...]

Just to add. Did you add the saxon php extension to the php.ini file as detailed in the instructions guide:

Update the php.ini file (if using Ubuntu it is usually in the location '/etc/php5/apache2/') to contain the php extension. Insert the following in the Dynamic Extensions section: extension=saxon.so

kind regards,

O'Neil

On 6 Jun 2014, at 12:50, Ruprecht von Waldenfels <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thank you both again!

> Did you add the saxon php extension to the php.ini file as detailed in the instructions guide:

Yes, I did. The line extension=saxon.so is there. I think, without it, PHP wouldn't try to load saxon.so.
But it does infact try and fails.

I interpret the error log entry
"[06-Jun-2014 12:16:46 UTC] PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib64/php5/extensions/saxon.so' - libsaxon.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0"
as follows: PHP/Apache tries to load the Saxon extension. It finds saxon.so. saxon.so is pointing to libsaxon.so, which is actually in /usr/lib" - but for reasons unknown to me it can't be found/opened.

> Don't forget to restart apache.

I did that too.
I have rebooted the whole system each time. And each time there is a new entry in the PHP error log file. That can't be the reason.

To be honest, Ruprecht, I didn't unterstand the rest of your suggestions:

> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/rt/lib/amd64:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/include/linux:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/include:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Again: There is no directory "java-6-openjdk-amd64" anywhere on my computer. Should it be there?

> ah: you have to add the LD_LIBRARY_PATH code to the .bashrc

Sorry, I have no idea how to do that. What code into what file?

> For ubuntu server, in /etc/apache2/envvars, for centos server, in /etc/sysconfig/httpd, add:

A file named "envvars" is in "/usr/sbin/"

it says:

# envvars-std - default environment variables for apachectl
#
# This file is generated from envvars-std.in
#

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib64${LD_LIBRARY_PATH+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}"

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
#

Is this the right file? I think "apachectl" is something else, isn't it?

> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/rt/lib/i386/jetvm

That path doesn't exist on my machine, but a folder named "jetvm" is in "/usr/lib/rt/lib/amd64/". It contains only one file: libjvm.so with 22kb.

I know giving advise to a complete Linux newbie is frustrating for you. Therefore: thanks again!

On 6 Jun 2014, at 14:01, Christian Schwaderer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ah: you have to add the LD_LIBRARY_PATH code to the .bashrc

Sorry, I have no idea how to do that. What code into what file?

On my ubuntu 64-bit machine if you go to your root home directory the file '.bashrc' is there. You can use any preferable text editor, such as gedit. i.e.:

sudo gedit .bashrc

At the end of the file type the following:

export JET_HOME=/usr/lib/rt
export PATH=$PATH:$JET_HOME/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$JET_HOME:$JET_HOME/amd64/shared:$JET_HOME/lib/amd64/jetvm:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

> For ubuntu server, in /etc/apache2/envvars, for centos server, in /etc/sysconfig/httpd, add:

A file named "envvars" is in "/usr/sbin/"

it says:

# envvars-std - default environment variables for apachectl
#
# This file is generated from envvars-std.in
#

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib64${LD_LIBRARY_PATH+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}"

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
#

Is this the right file? I think "apachectl" is something else, isn't it?

> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/rt/lib/i386/jetvm

That path doesn't exist on my machine, but a folder named "jetvm" is in "/usr/lib/rt/lib/amd64/". It contains only one file: libjvm.so with 22kb.

You should do the equivalent for the 64-bit machine. As the i386 is only relevant to a 32-bit machine.

You could try using the script I sent earlier today, it was written for a 64-bit machine.

thanks and kind regards,

O'Neil
-------------------------------
O'Neil Delpratt
Software Developer, Saxonica Limited Email: [hidden email]
Tel: +44 118 946 5894
Web: http://www.saxonica.com
Saxonica Community site: http://dev.saxonica.com
Bug tracking site: https://saxonica.plan.io/

Re: Installing Saxon/C on openSUSE 13.1 64-bit

Christian Schwaderer
Hi there all,

still trying to get rid of the "PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib64/php5/extensions/saxon.so' - libsaxon.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0" error and make Saxon/C and the PHP extension work.

I created a new file named .bashrc on the root directory / with the lines you recommanded me and also added the lines into two .bashrc files I found somewhere else: home/cis ('cis' is my user name) and in /etc/skel/

But again to no avail.

It's time to check some background information:
- What exactely should be in "/usr/lib/rt/" and how can I check whether I have all files needed?
- How can I check whether the paths are correctly set?

Here is what my directory /usr/lib/rt contains together with the sub-directories which seem to play a role:

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 18 10:54 bin
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 18 10:54 jetrt
drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 Mar 18 10:54 lib

linux-04ja:/usr/lib/rt # dir bin
total 192
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 194816 Dec 25 22:08 unpack200

linux-04ja:/usr/lib/rt # dir jetrt
total 119732
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    40819 Dec 25 22:53 dynlookup90090.tbl
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23569792 Mar 17 19:20 libXAWT90090.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  8390016 Mar 17 19:20 libXCRB90090.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root   578944 Mar 17 19:20 libXEND90090.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root   714112 Mar 17 19:20 libXIMG90090.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root   644480 Mar 17 19:20 libXINV90090.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  1312128 Mar 17 19:20 libXJCE90090.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25441664 Mar 17 19:19 libXKRN90090.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  2807168 Mar 17 19:20 libXMIA90090.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9782656 Mar 17 19:19 libXMIS90090.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  2774400 Mar 17 19:19 libXMNG90090.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  1324416 Mar 17 19:20 libXPKC90090.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root   910720 Mar 17 19:20 libXRMI90090.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  2737536 Mar 17 19:20 libXSCR90090.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  4031872 Mar 17 19:20 libXSEC90090.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  2106752 Mar 17 19:20 libXSND90090.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  1443200 Mar 17 19:20 libXSQL90090.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  1578368 Mar 17 19:20 libXSSE90090.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  4474240 Mar 17 19:20 libXSWN90090.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15271296 Mar 17 19:20 libXXML90090.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  4154752 Mar 17 19:20 libXXWS90090.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  4736384 Mar 17 19:20 libXXXL90090.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  3720576 Mar 17 19:20 libxjitb_j90090.so

drwxr-xr-x 5 root root    4096 Mar 18 10:54 amd64
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    1232 Dec 25 22:08 calendars.properties
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 Mar 18 10:54 cmm
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    5916 Dec 25 22:08 content-types.properties
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    4200 Dec 25 22:08 currency.data
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 Mar 18 10:54 ext
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    3901 Dec 25 22:08 flavormap.properties
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    4532 Dec 25 22:08 fontconfig.RedHat.5.bfc
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    8841 Dec 25 22:08 fontconfig.RedHat.5.properties.src
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    4250 Dec 25 22:08 fontconfig.RedHat.6.bfc
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    8735 Dec 25 22:08 fontconfig.RedHat.6.properties.src
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    6702 Dec 25 22:08 fontconfig.SuSE.10.bfc
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root   16772 Dec 25 22:08 fontconfig.SuSE.10.properties.src
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    7032 Dec 25 22:08 fontconfig.SuSE.11.bfc
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root   16781 Dec 25 22:08 fontconfig.SuSE.11.properties.src
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    4668 Dec 25 22:08 fontconfig.Turbo.bfc
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    9192 Dec 25 22:08 fontconfig.Turbo.properties.src
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    1678 Dec 25 22:08 fontconfig.bfc
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    1938 Dec 25 22:08 fontconfig.properties.src
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 Mar 18 10:54 fonts
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root    4096 Mar 18 10:54 images
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root  109196 Dec 25 22:09 jce.jar
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    1710 Dec 25 22:09 locales
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    2455 Dec 25 22:08 logging.properties
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 Mar 18 10:54 management
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    2038 Dec 25 22:08 meta-index
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    3070 Dec 25 22:08 net.properties
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    2796 Dec 25 22:08 psfont.properties.ja
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root   10393 Dec 25 22:08 psfontj2d.properties
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 2461129 Dec 25 22:08 resources.jar
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 Mar 18 10:54 security
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root    1210 Dec 25 22:08 sound.properties

linux-04ja:/usr/lib/rt # dir lib/amd64
total 4408
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   4096 Mar 18 10:54 headless
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   4096 Mar 18 10:54 jetvm
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   4096 Mar 18 10:54 jli
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root     13 Dec 25 22:03 jvm.cfg
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  79429 Dec 25 22:08 libJdbcOdbc.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 777284 Dec 25 22:08 libawt.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 207475 Dec 25 22:08 libdcpr.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 502188 Dec 25 22:08 libfontmanager.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  44661 Dec 25 22:08 libj2gss.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  14946 Dec 25 22:08 libj2pcsc.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  77390 Dec 25 22:08 libj2pkcs11.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root   7746 Dec 25 22:08 libjaas_unix.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 111424 Dec 25 22:03 libjava.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root   7013 Dec 25 22:08 libjawt.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 263985 Dec 25 22:08 libjpeg.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root   7350 Dec 25 22:08 libjsound.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  81058 Dec 25 22:08 libjsoundalsa.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 397414 Dec 25 22:08 libkcms.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 910964 Dec 25 22:08 libmlib_image.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 110009 Dec 25 22:08 libnet.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  91178 Dec 25 22:08 libnio.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  28103 Dec 25 22:08 libsctp.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 488371 Dec 25 22:08 libt2k.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 148049 Dec 25 22:08 libunpack.so
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 105760 Dec 25 22:07 libzip.so

linux-04ja:/usr/lib/rt # dir lib/amd64/jetvm
total 24
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23344 Dec 25 22:03 libjvm.so

As you can see there is nowhere a folder named "shared"
Should it be there?

What else could theoretically cause the error "PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib64/php5/extensions/saxon.so' - libsaxon.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0"?
I didn't find any background information via Google.

From: [hidden email]
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 14:36:36 +0100
To: [hidden email]

On 6 Jun 2014, at 14:01, Christian Schwaderer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ah: you have to add the LD_LIBRARY_PATH code to the .bashrc

Sorry, I have no idea how to do that. What code into what file?

On my ubuntu 64-bit machine if you go to your root home directory the file '.bashrc' is there. You can use any preferable text editor, such as gedit. i.e.:

sudo gedit .bashrc

At the end of the file type the following:

export JET_HOME=/usr/lib/rt
export PATH=$PATH:$JET_HOME/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$JET_HOME:$JET_HOME/amd64/shared:$JET_HOME/lib/amd64/jetvm:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Re: Installing Saxon/C on openSUSE 13.1 64-bit

O'Neil Delpratt
This looks like the php extension has not been added to the php.ini file. i.e. extension=saxon.so

I am building myself a virtual box with openSUSE 13.1

From: [hidden email]
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 14:36:36 +0100
To: [hidden email]

On 6 Jun 2014, at 14:01, Christian Schwaderer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ah: you have to add the LD_LIBRARY_PATH code to the .bashrc

Sorry, I have no idea how to do that. What code into what file?

On my ubuntu 64-bit machine if you go to your root home directory the file '.bashrc' is there. You can use any preferable text editor, such as gedit. i.e.:

sudo gedit .bashrc

At the end of the file type the following:

export JET_HOME=/usr/lib/rt
export PATH=$PATH:$JET_HOME/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$JET_HOME:$JET_HOME/amd64/shared:$JET_HOME/lib/amd64/jetvm:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

-------------------------------
O'Neil Delpratt
Software Developer, Saxonica Limited Email: [hidden email]
Tel: +44 118 946 5894
Web: http://www.saxonica.com
Saxonica Community site: http://dev.saxonica.com
Bug tracking site: https://saxonica.plan.io/

Re: Installing Saxon/C on openSUSE 13.1 64-bit

Christian Schwaderer
Thanks again, Oneil!
But I don't think that this is the problem. I double checked that entry - and it is there.
Without the line "extension=saxon.so" PHP wouldn't try to "load dynamic library '/usr/lib64/php5/extensions/saxon.so' ". And without loading "saxon.so" - how should PHP know that it has to open "libsaxon.so"?
Maybe PHP doesn't know where to look for "libsaxon.so" because it says "Unknown on line 0". That seems strange to me. Obviously PHP is able to obtain some information from saxon.so. Otherwise, it wouldn't know the filename "libsaxon.so". But why can't PHP give the right line number? (Or does it start line counting from zero and the entry pointing to "libsaxon.so" is in the very first line? Than still, the word "Unknown" remains a problem.)

I hope you find the error via building an openSUSE 13.1 64 bit virtual machine yourself. Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything I could try or do now.

Thanks again and kind regards!
Christian

From: [hidden email]
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 09:54:25 +0100
To: [hidden email]

This looks like the php extension has not been added to the php.ini file. i.e. extension=saxon.so

I am building myself a virtual box with openSUSE 13.1

Re: Installing Saxon/C on openSUSE 13.1 64-bit

DALDEI

This is because sites of this sort misuse XML.

I dont blame them because they want to use XML but there is no standardized way

to consume a non ending "Stream" of XML.

Why?

You can either produce 1 document like they do ( and several other protocols such as IM protocols that use XML)

<root>

message

message

.... forever

.... you will NEVER see the </rooot>

OR you can produce a stream of messages

<message> text </message>

<message> text </message>

<message> text </message>

The problem with the first approach is that (well depending what level of specs you read want to

stick to) pretty much requires you read to the end tag in order to determine well-formedness.

Secondly most XML processes are simply not built for this case, although Streaming XSLT might just be able to do it,

most processes are designed to read the full document until the end (either into memory to construct an in-memory representation,

or into a database).

The second case has no established "standard" representation ... i.ee a sequence of XML documents

or even a sequence of XDM values does not have a standard format.  There are serialization specs for

what to do when writing a sequence of XDM but they are not designed or appropriate for this case,

This case needs a pre-processor (or something very deep in the XML processor) to detect the boundaries

and return individual messages.  That can be difficult when buffering data, when reading from sockets etc.

And XML processors are all supposed to have ONE document as input so they simply dont do this

( See: for an ongoing discussion and semi proposal:

http://xml.calldei.com/XDMSerialize

)

While on the Efficient XML W3C group we had the same issue attempting to address similar use cases,

that time it was a IM protocol that (ab)used XML in the same way ...

to accomplish what you want you need to either

1)      Have a preprocess step that reads raw text and splits it into the child XML elements and sends those to saxon
Depending on the source that could be easy or hard .. maybe they use a well-defined delimiter
between child nodes ... otherwise you have to be as smart as an XML parser to know when you reach node boundaries.
OR

2)      MAYBE Streaming XSLT can address this.   Not sure.

From: [hidden email]
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 09:54:25 +0100
To: [hidden email]

This looks like the php extension has not been added to the php.ini file. i.e. extension=saxon.so

I am building myself a virtual box with openSUSE 13.1

Re: Installing Saxon/C on openSUSE 13.1 64-bit

Dave Pawson-2
Is Liam listening? Sounds bigger than XSLT/xQuery David?
regards

Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
Docbook FAQ.