Feature request: SQL via extension functions

Feature request: SQL via extension functions

Hans-Juergen Rennau
Apologies for repeating my last posting - in the digest I received the linefeeds had vanished and been partially replaced by sequences of question marks, how very funny, and interesting to Roger Castello who just started a thread on xml-dev about the interoperability of linefeeds...
= = = = = = =

You know what? In most cases I would not even want the SQL types translated into XDM - would prefer the string values. Like so:

<rows>
   <row>
      <col name="foo">Hello</col>
      <col name="bar">Saxon!</col>
   </row>
</rows>

I would suggest that a first version would only support this simple variant of Select. The value provided would be enormous! Later versions might offer the additional possibility to receive typed values - IF the user wishes - but I argue that this is not essential and can be postponed indefinitely.

Hans-Juergen

Re: Feature request: SQL via extension functions

Jirka Kosek
On 14.12.2014 10:33, Hans-Juergen Rennau wrote:
> I would suggest that a first version would only support this simple variant of Select. The value provided would be enormous! Later versions might offer the additional possibility to receive typed values - IF the user wishes - but I argue that this is not essential and can be postponed indefinitely.

The trouble is, that SQL can return much complex structures then just
table if your database has native support for XMLType. You can then use
SQL functions like XMLElement() to construct XML tree directly in SQL
statement.

                                Jirka

  Jirka Kosek      e-mail: [hidden email]      http://xmlguru.cz
     Professional XML and Web consulting and training services
DocBook/DITA customization, custom XSLT/XSL-FO document processing
    Bringing you XML Prague conference    http://xmlprague.cz

Re: Feature request: SQL via extension functions

Hans-Juergen Rennau
Certainly interesting, but I think one should distinguish the essential from the (in my mind) not so essential: it is essential to enlarge the space of information accessible to XML technology (XQuery/XSLT/XProc) - add to it relational data. In nine out of ten enterprises this step opens a new class of applications. Full access is already achieved by returning tables with all column values represented as strings. (NB, this does not constrain the query producing the table.) The step has been taken by other XQuery processors, and it would be a real pity if Saxon remained excluded. In fact, the best solution would be a new set of EXPath functions.

Hans-Juergen

PS: I would appreciate links for free access to the standards cited!