Feature request: SQL via extension functions

Feature request: SQL via extension functions

Hans-Juergen Rennau
Dear Saxon team,

my understanding of the documentation is that Saxon does not offer extension functions for accessing SQL databases (XPath functions, to be distinguished from XSLT instructions). I hope you do not mind me expressing this as a feature request: could you please consider the possibility of adding SQL support to your products?

I think there is a far greater demand of this feature than potential users even suspect. Working in an environment dominated by relational databases, I recently wrote an XQuery application producing a detailed diff of two database tables. (Using, of course, a different XQuery processor.) I was completely surprised by the interest, even enthusiasm which I met - from people who rarely think about XML and never about XQuery, but are keenly interested in obtaining information about database contents which is not available via SQL.

Kind regards,
Hans-Juergen

Re: Feature request: SQL via extension functions

Costello, Roger L.

Ø  consider the possibility of extension functions for accessing SQL databases

+1

Yes!

I whole-heartedly agree with Hans-Juergen!

/Roger

Re: Feature request: SQL via extension functions

Hans-Juergen Rennau
You know what? In most cases I would not even want the SQL types translated into XDM - would prefer the string values. Like so:

<rows>
   <row>
      <col name="foo">Hello</col>
      <col name="bar">Saxon!</col>
   </row>
</rows>

I would suggest that a first version would only support this simple variant of Select. The value provided would be enormous! Later versions might offer the additional possibility to receive typed values - IF the user wishes - but I argue that this is not essential and can be postponed indefinitely.

Hans-Juergen

Michael Kay <[hidden email]> schrieb am 10:00 Sonntag, 14.Dezember 2014:

[...]

Jirka Kosek
On 14.12.2014 10:00, Michael Kay wrote:
> You're aware, I guess, that we do offer this capability in XSLT, via
> extension instructions, which provide much nicer syntax for this that
> simple functions. But perhaps it's time to update this. The main
> difficulties with this feature have always been (a) completeness -
> e.g. mapping all SQL data types to XDM data types,

Probably using mapping defined in SQL/XML (ISO/IEC 9075-14:2011) would
make sense to prevent inventing yet another mapping.

> (b) testing, and
> (c) support - if we provide the feature, people expect us to answer
> questions about how to configure JDBC drivers to connect to SQL
> Server, etc.

Indeed, (a) would be rather easy job compared to (b) and (c) :-D

                                Jirka

  Jirka Kosek      e-mail: [hidden email]      http://xmlguru.cz
     Professional XML and Web consulting and training services
DocBook/DITA customization, custom XSLT/XSL-FO document processing
    Bringing you XML Prague conference    http://xmlprague.cz