EXSLT extension functions availability in free versions of Saxon 9

EXSLT extension functions availability in free versions of Saxon 9

Abel Braaksma-2

Hi Michael,

I was helping someone trying to use random:random-sequence(…), and she got a function not available error XTDE1425. I see the same behavior in http://xsltransform.net (the EE version does not work anymore there).

Local testing shows for me that the function "just works", but I use the licensed version and/or I run it from within oXygen.

Can you confirm whether these (EXSLT extension functions) are indeed not supported in the PE or free versions of Saxon?

Thanks,

Abel

Re: EXSLT extension functions availability in free versions of Saxon 9

Michael Kay
The general policy is that Saxon-HE supports the basic conformance levels of published recommendations: For Saxon 9.6 this means XPath 3.0 and XQuery 3.0 but not XSLT 3.0, and not XPath 3.1, and not optional features such as higher-order functions.

Extensions, including Saxon extensions as well as EXSLT and EXPath extensions, generally require Saxon-PE or higher.

On 9 Sep 2015, at 09:09, Abel Braaksma <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Michael,

I was helping someone trying to use random:random-sequence(…), and she got a function not available error XTDE1425. I see the same behavior in http://xsltransform.net (the EE version does not work anymore there).

Local testing shows for me that the function "just works", but I use the licensed version and/or I run it from within oXygen.

Can you confirm whether these (EXSLT extension functions) are indeed not supported in the PE or free versions of Saxon?

Thanks,
Abel

Re: EXSLT extension functions availability in free versions of Saxon 9

Abel Braaksma-2

Great, thanks!

Re: EXSLT extension functions availability in free versions of Saxon 9

Emanuel Wlaschitz

Hi Michael,

does this also apply to custom Extension functions written in .NET that do not relate to EXSLT/EXPath/etc?

We were planning to write a few extensions ourselves to make life a bit more convenient for certain things, and a quick test using Saxon-HE 9.6N revealed that it does indeed work (straight from the documentation on .NET extension functions):

var processor = new Processor(false);

processor.RegisterExtensionFunction(new Sqrt()); // derives from ExtensionFunctionDefinition

with

<xsl:value-of select="mf:sqrt(4.0)" xmlns:mf="http://math.com/"/>

If this is not supposed to be possible with Saxon-HE, we'll have to either use a different approach or switch over to the licensed PE/EE versions.

Please clarify, we don't want to violate any license restrictions by using it that way.

Regards, Emanuel

Re: EXSLT extension functions availability in free versions of Saxon 9

Emanuel Wlaschitz

Ah, so the difference is "Integrated" vs. "Reflexive" Extension Functions?

Thanks for clearing this up.

Regards, Emanuel