Czech localization for Numberer

Michal Brič
Hello,

I'm not entire sure whether this is the right place to submit, but I wrote a Czech localization for the Numberer class:

https://github.com/thisismichal/saxon/blob/master/src/saxoncs/Numberer_cs.java

and would like to ask about the possibility of including it alongside the other localizations in future versions.

--------------
Michal Bric

Re: Czech localization for Numberer

Michael Kay
Thanks for the offer.

A couple of reservations:

(a) these days we don't take contributions without a signed form from you and if necessary your employer to do copyright handover. Sorry about that, but some of our corporate users are very sensitive about IP issues. Oddly github is very casual about licensing, so the fact that something is on github is no evidence that we're entitled to use it.

(b) the old Saxon localization mechanism is a bit obsolescent: since Saxon 9.6 we're moving to the ICU library.

(c) we need tests more than we need code. We can't ship code unless we can test it, and it's surprising how often people contribute code with no test material. The preferred format for tests would be the QT3 test suite format.

On 15 Jan 2015, at 12:44, Michal Brič <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

I'm not entire sure whether this is the right place to submit, but I wrote a Czech localization for the Numberer class:

https://github.com/thisismichal/saxon/blob/master/src/saxoncs/Numberer_cs.java

and would like to ask about the possibility of including it alongside the other localizations in future versions.

Re: Czech localization for Numberer

Jirka Kosek
On 17.1.2015 11:31, Michael Kay wrote:
> (a) these days we don't take contributions without a signed form from
> you and if necessary your employer to do copyright handover. Sorry
> about that, but some of our corporate users are very sensitive about
> IP issues. Oddly github is very casual about licensing, so the fact
> that something is on github is no evidence that we're entitled to use
> it.

If you will send form to Michal and he agrees (I have no doubts he will
agree) I can hand you signed form during XML Prague. Michal was doing
this implementation as a student assignment.

> (b) the old Saxon localization mechanism is a bit obsolescent: since
> Saxon 9.6 we're moving to the ICU library.

We noticed that during development, but we produced code anyway for two
reasons:

1) Provided code can be used in open-source version of Saxon as well,
see instructions at:

https://github.com/thisismichal/saxon

2) It's not clear whether Saxon+ICU can properly generate localized
dates with pattern [MNn] for Czech language (I haven't tested it, yet)
For Czech problem is that in dates month name is spelled in a different
grammatical case then first.

> (c) we need tests more than we need code. We can't ship code unless
> we can test it, and it's surprising how often people contribute code
> with no test material. The preferred format for tests would be the
> QT3 test suite format.

There is testing transformation
https://github.com/thisismichal/saxon/blob/master/resources/data.xsl
showing localized output. If you decide to include the code, it would be
pretty easy to derive some tests from it and we can provide them.

                                Jirka

  Jirka Kosek      e-mail: [hidden email]      http://xmlguru.cz
     Professional XML and Web consulting and training services
DocBook/DITA customization, custom XSLT/XSL-FO document processing
    Bringing you XML Prague conference    http://xmlprague.cz