Attibute namesspaces lost using Xerces schema aware with Saxon 9.1

Attibute namesspaces lost using Xerces schema aware with Saxon 9.1

Earl Hood-3
Working on a project that uses Saxon 9.1.

I am attempting to get some schema awareness capability by specifying
the source parser to use a Xerces-based class that enables schema
processing.

Things seem to work okay, but when utilizing an identity-type transform,
schema-defined attributes with default or fixed values fail to include
the proper namespace for the attributes in the resulting XML.

For example, say the element 'refdm' is defined to support xlink
attributes.  For example, the following exists in the definition for the
'refdm' element:

    <xs:attribute ref="xlink:show" default="replace"/>
    <xs:attribute ref="xlink:actuate" default="onRequest"/>

If the source XML has the following:

  <refdm/>

After copy transform, it has:

  <refdm show="replace" actuate="onRequest"/>

Where the root document node of the result has:

  <dmodule xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
           xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
           xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">

The root node has the xlink namespace declaration, but the decendent
<refdm> nodes fail to have the namespace on the 'show' and 'actuate'
attributes.

Before I attempt to dive deeper into the bowels of xerces or Saxon, I am
wondering if anyone has some insight to this problem?  Am I encountering
some limitation in either Xerces or Saxon?

Regards,

--ewh

Re: Attibute namesspaces lost using Xerces schema aware with Saxon 9.1

Michael Kay
My guess would be that the "Xerces-based class" of which you speak is not following the SAX rules correctly: the combinations of what must be reported for element and attribute names, based on the different SAX property settings, are quite subtle.

But that's purely a guess.

On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 12:44 PM, Michael Kay wrote:

> My guess would be that the "Xerces-based class" of which you speak is
> not following the SAX rules correctly: the combinations of what must
> be reported for element and attribute names, based on the different
> SAX property settings, are quite subtle.

Namespaces are not a problem if the attribute is explicitly set in the
XML source, it is only for those attributes that are not explicitly set
in the XML source that are showing problems.

FYI, attached is the source parser class I pass to Saxon.  All it does
is set some Xerces features, and defers to the commons resolver and
xerces to do the real work.

Note: I have validation feature turned off, but schema validation turned
on because Xerces does not handle properly, IMO, scenarios of XML data
that declares a DOCTYPE and also a schema reference.  Example:

  <!DOCTYPE dmodule [
    <!-- entity declarations here -->
  ]>
  <dmodule xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
           xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="schema.xsd"
           xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink ...

Xerces barfs about undeclared elements unless I turn basic validation
off.

What I am not 100% certain is if Xerces does include the namespace
information for the default and fixed attributes during parsing, but
Saxon is not handling it properly.  The actual "xlink:" prefix would
likely not be present for such nodes passed to Saxon, but the namespace
URI is.

Reviewing the SAX API for the Attributes class, I am wondering if the
Attributes.getQName() method does not include any prefix component for
such attributes, but Attributes.getURI() does return the namespace URI.
Maybe Saxon is not taking this into account when copying such nodes to
the result tree.

--ewh

SchemaXMLReader.java (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Attibute namesspaces lost using Xerces schema aware with Saxon 9.1

Michael Kay
I would suggest using the debugger, or a tracing SAXFilter class, to establish exactly how the attribute information is being passed to Saxon.

On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Michael Kay wrote:

> I would suggest using the debugger, or a tracing SAXFilter class, to
> establish exactly how the attribute information is being passed to
> Saxon.

Haven't got to debugging Saxon itself yet, but I did create a test of
the Xerces parser to see what attribute information it provided in its
SAX API.  Taking the Counter.java sample provided with xerces download,
I added some print statements to dump the return strings from the
various methods of org.xml.sax.Attributes instances provided when
startElement() is called by the ContentHandler.

For attributes defined with a default value in the schema,
Xerces does include the namespace URI (if applicable):

  Attribute:
          localName: actuate
          qName: actuate
          type: CDATA
          uri: http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink
          value: onRequest

The QName does not include any prefix, but the namespace URI is provided
to indicate that the `actuate' attribute is in the XLink namespace.

As of now, it seems Saxon is failing to copy over namespace information
for an attribute when using <xsl:copy>.  Or, is this a limitation of
XSLT itself?

--ewh

Re: Attibute namesspaces lost using Xerces schema aware with Saxon 9.1

Michael Kay
What are the values of the properties

http://xml.org/sax/features/namespaces
http://xml.org/sax/features/namespace-prefixes

on the XMLReader?

I'm surprised to see an attribute being notified with a QName that includes no prefix, when the attribute is in a namespace.

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 3:12 AM, Michael Kay wrote:
> What are the values of the properties
>
> http://xml.org/sax/features/namespaces
> http://xml.org/sax/features/namespace-prefixes

I set those properties to true.

> I'm surprised to see an attribute being notified with a QName that
> includes no prefix, when the attribute is in a namespace.

I think the case here is these are attributes are auto-created by the
parser.   For an attribute defined in the schema with a default value,
if the XML does not set the attribute explicitly, the parser will
auto-create the attribute with the declared default value.  The same
applies for attributes declared as fixed in the schema.

Because of this behavior, I do not think there is any real applicable
prefix available, just the namespace URI.  Not sure if it is a SAX-level
role to remember any ancestor namespace declarations that match the
namespace URI of the defined attribute and provide that prefix in the
QName property.

I would venture that is the responsibility of the application consuming
SAX events to track namespace declarations and their associated
prefixes.  If a subsequent node is received from the SAX parser that
does not have a prefix, but a namespace URI, the application (in this
case, the XSLT engine) can insert the proper prefix.

--ewh

Re: Attibute namesspaces lost using Xerces schema aware with Saxon 9.1

Michael Kay

> I would venture that is the responsibility of the application consuming
> SAX events to track namespace declarations and their associated
> prefixes.  If a subsequent node is received from the SAX parser that
> does not have a prefix, but a namespace URI, the application (in this
> case, the XSLT engine) can insert the proper prefix.

I don't think we'll find a definitive answer in the SAX specification, but I think the application is entitled to assume that the events passed to the ContentHandler represent a well-formed XML document, and in a well-formed document, an attribute name that is in a namespace always has a prefix.

You may have to solve this by inserting a filter between the parser and Saxon that "invents" a prefix.

Alternatively, please see if the problem still exists in a more recent Saxon release. I haven't gone back to the 9.1 code to see in detail what's going on.

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 5:11 AM, Michael Kay wrote:

> I don't think we'll find a definitive answer in the SAX specification,
> but I think the application is entitled to assume that the events
> passed to the ContentHandler represent a well-formed XML document, and
> in a well-formed document, an attribute name that is in a namespace
> always has a prefix.

Not sure about that assumption.  The raw XML is well-formed.

> You may have to solve this by inserting a filter between the parser
> and Saxon that "invents" a prefix.

The filter would have to be tracking xmlns declarations and their
prefixes so the proper prefix can be associated to an attribute.

Seems like Saxon could (should?) do this itself.

> Alternatively, please see if the problem still exists in a more recent
> Saxon release. I haven't gone back to the 9.1 code to see in detail
> what's going on.

I downloaded SaxonHE 9.6 and did a basic test.  9.6 errors out:

Error at xsl:copy on line 39 of identity.xsl:
  XTDE0440: Cannot output a namespace node for the default namespace
when the element is in
  no namespace
  at xsl:apply-templates
(file:/C:/tmp/java/xerces-sax-saxon-test/identity.xsl#40)
     processing /content/refdm[1]
  in built-in template rule
Cannot output a namespace node for the default namespace when the
element is in no namespace

Saxon 9.1 will not generate an error, but the attributes printed in the
output fail to include any namespace prefix.

I can provide a package with all the files needed to execute the test
I ran if interested.

--ewh

Re: Attibute namesspaces lost using Xerces schema aware with Saxon 9.1

Michael Kay

> On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 5:11 AM, Michael Kay wrote:
>
>> I don't think we'll find a definitive answer in the SAX specification,
>> but I think the application is entitled to assume that the events
>> passed to the ContentHandler represent a well-formed XML document, and
>> in a well-formed document, an attribute name that is in a namespace
>> always has a prefix.
>
> Not sure about that assumption.  The raw XML is well-formed.

The parser is supplying a sequence of events that that violates one of the rules in XDM:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-datamodel-30/  section 6.3.1 rule 3:

3. In the node-name of an attribute node, if a namespace URI is present then a prefix must also be present.

I don't think it's the job of the XSLT processor to "repair" incoming documents that don't satisfy the constraints in the XDM spec.

>> You may have to solve this by inserting a filter between the parser
>> and Saxon that "invents" a prefix.
>
> The filter would have to be tracking xmlns declarations and their
> prefixes so the proper prefix can be associated to an attribute.
>
> Seems like Saxon could (should?) do this itself.

The code for building a tree from an incoming sequence of SAX events is absolutely performance critical. Saxon therefore does not attempt complete validation of this incoming sequence, let alone attempting repair if it is invalid. I'm not prepared to consider adding code to this path that will affect every single Saxon user, for the sake of one situation that has never arisen before and will probably never arise again, and that does not represent a Saxon non-conformance to the specs.

If you don't want to implement this filter as suggested, consider using Saxon's schema validator in place of Xerces.

>> Alternatively, please see if the problem still exists in a more recent
>> Saxon release. I haven't gone back to the 9.1 code to see in detail
>> what's going on.
>
> I downloaded SaxonHE 9.6 and did a basic test.  9.6 errors out:
>
> Error at xsl:copy on line 39 of identity.xsl:
>  XTDE0440: Cannot output a namespace node for the default namespace
> when the element is in
>  no namespace

Thanks for the information.

Re: Attibute namesspaces lost using Xerces schema aware with Saxon 9.1

Earl Hood
On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 3:28 AM, Michael Kay wrote:

> The parser is supplying a sequence of events that that violates one of
> the rules in XDM:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-datamodel-30/  section 6.3.1 rule 3:

The Xerces project does not mention XDM in the list of standards and
APIs supported:

  https://xerces.apache.org/#xerces2-j

> If you don't want to implement this filter as suggested, consider
> using Saxon's schema validator in place of Xerces.

Which requires a license.  I would definitely like to see the project
update to latest Saxon, either PE or EE, but any software that requires
a license purchase has to go thru bureaucractic red tape that is
typically not based on rational thought.  I will advocate for it when
the opportunities arise.

As for the event that lead me down this path, I have come up with an
alternative solution that does not require schema awareness.

In the future, if I need to enable schema-aware parsing in xercses for
XML we feed into Saxon, I will likely implement my own XMLReader class
that fixes the missing prefix.

--ewh