A graphical front end for Saxon

Andrew Welch
I've finally got around to releasing a graphical front end for Saxon
(something I've been meaning to do for a while now).  It's meant for
anyone that uses the command line to run their transformations, this
should save their fingers.

It's still in the early stages but complete enough to use - you can
download a copy from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/easytransformer/

Some of the features:
-Runs single file, directory and standalone transforms
-Allows you to use file choosers to select the files involved in the transform
-Auto-detects the available parameters
-Auto-detects the allowed initial templates for standalone transforms
-Provides timing information
-Allows you to specify the file suffix for the output files when
performing a directory transformation
-Can run both basic and schema-aware transforms

I would appreciate any feedback (off-list, just mail me directly)
bugs, feature requests etc.

cheers
andrew

RE: A graphical front end for Saxon

Michael Kay
Looks promising!

A couple of initial comments:

* A relative reference in the source XML file to a DTD doesn't get resolved:
presumably you haven't done a setSystemId() on the Source object. (I haven't
checked whether this also applies to stylesheets)

* This is a bit of a technicality, and more of an issue for me, but I don't
think there's currently anything in writing that authorizes you to
distribute the executable of Saxon-SA, even though the SA functionality
can't actually be used without a license key. We should discuss this
off-list: it's probably just a question of agreeing some suitable legalese
to include with the download.

* It would be nice if the file selection dialogs remembered the most recent
position in the directory tree.

* Some of the Saxon options (e.g. -ds|-dt, -w0|w1|w2) should be radio
buttons rather than checkboxes. Saving options persistently would obviously
be very handy

* Shouldn't produce a stack trace when a TransformerException or
TransformerConfigurationException occurs

Thanks for doing this, I should have done it years ago!

Hi Mike,

> * A relative reference in the source XML file to a DTD doesn't get resolved:
> presumably you haven't done a setSystemId() on the Source object. (I haven't
> checked whether this also applies to stylesheets)

Now fixed for both the source XML and the stylesheets.

> * This is a bit of a technicality, and more of an issue for me, but I don't
> think there's currently anything in writing that authorizes you to
> distribute the executable of Saxon-SA, even though the SA functionality
> can't actually be used without a license key. We should discuss this
> off-list: it's probably just a question of agreeing some suitable legalese
> to include with the download.

Ok, sure.  Do you want to send me a file or let me know off-list what
needs doing?

> * It would be nice if the file selection dialogs remembered the most recent
> position in the directory tree.

They should remember what the values were when the app was last closed
(It currently creates a file called ET.properties on C, which will
need changing :)

> * Some of the Saxon options (e.g. -ds|-dt, -w0|w1|w2) should be radio
> buttons rather than checkboxes. Saving options persistently would obviously
> be very handy

I've made the tree type, whitespace handling and warning policy all
radio buttons, and the settings now get saved to the properties file.

> * Shouldn't produce a stack trace when a TransformerException or
> TransformerConfigurationException occurs

Ok, it no longer produces a stack trace for a
TransformerConfigurationException or a
TransformerFactoryConfigurationException, but the code doesn't throw a
TransformerException... (I use SAXTransformerFactories throughout)

cheers
andrew