Quantcast

9.5.1.2 optimizer appears to cause xsl:result-document to not write documents

9.5.1.2 optimizer appears to cause xsl:result-document to not write documents

Graydon
Hello all --

I really hope this is something simple and obvious which I'm neglecting.

If I run a (large, complicated, splits a big document at the end) group of stylesheets in oXygen 15.1 using Saxon-EE 9.5.1.2, I get the expected behaviour; the big transformed document splits into the expected files.  oXygen (claims that it) is setting the optimization level to 10.

If I run this same input from the command line, without an -opt: value set, I don't get all of the expected result documents.  I get the created-as-we-go along image object documents created in response to particular source element, but I don't get the results of "run the split step on this big document in a variable" at the end of the processing.  The result document, however, reflects the operations involved in emitting all the individual documents; it's a tiny file with a single pointer to the top of the structured produced by splitting, rather than a single large file.

If I set -opt:10 at the command line, same thing.

If I set -opt:0 at the command line, and clean up various small matters that cause processing to fail without the optimizer, I get the expected documents written by xsl:result-document by the split-everything-at-the-end step.

(It's not my code and it's _really_ not my data, so I'm hoping to providing samples.  This is probably a vain hope.)

Is there a way to insist that the optimizer always produces a document for xsl:result-document?

Thanks!
Graydon

Re: 9.5.1.2 optimizer appears to cause xsl:result-document to not write documents

Michael Kay
If you use xsl:result-document in the places where it is allowed by the spec (that is, not inside a variable or function), then Saxon should not optimize it away.

I did discover recently that Saxon permits xsl:result-document to appear in some places where the spec doesn't allow it: see

https://saxonica.plan.io/issues/1860

To see whether this is the explanation for your problem, we will need to see your code. In fact, there is no possibility of solving any optimizer problem without access to the code that the optimizer is working on.